Mailing List Archive

RHL configuration question
I am in the process of replacing sendmail with qmail on my Linux box,
RedHat 2.1, 486.

1. I was able to get qmail through all the installation steps up to putting
the line in /etc/inetd.conf

smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Based on the layout of inetd.conf, I assumed the terms were all on one line
and separated by tabs, i.e.

smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

However, when I restarted inetd by saying

'killall -HUP inetd'

the qmail-smtp daemon was not up and running, and, of course, when I
telnetted to port 25, the connection closed down right away Is my problem a
dumb syntax problem? Thanks for any help.

Jonathan Cohen

--
Jonathan K. Cohen, Internet Projects, UCI Bookstore, Irvine, CA 92697
email: jkcohen@uci.edu; book orders: books@uci.edu; tel:(714)824-3164