Mailing List Archive

SMTP control
Paul C. Diem <pcdiem@FoxValley.net> asks:

>Is there a way to configure qmail SMTP so that it can only be used to
>receive mail for local recipients and forward mail from local senders? In
>other words, I'd like to prevent outsiders from using me as a forwarder
>yet allow insiders to use me as a forwarder.

Qmail's default installation will prevent other sites from using
you as a relay. That's because it puts the local domains into the
files control/locals and control/rcpthosts.

The FAQ document describes how to allow your local machines to
send mail anywhere in section 3.4 (possibly with assistance from
section 5.1).

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive
Re: SMTP control [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Greg Andrews wrote:

> Paul C. Diem <pcdiem@FoxValley.net> asks:
> >
> >Is there a way to configure qmail SMTP so that it can only be used to
> >receive mail for local recipients and forward mail from local senders? In
> >other words, I'd like to prevent outsiders from using me as a forwarder
> >yet allow insiders to use me as a forwarder.
> >

> Qmail's default installation will prevent other sites from using
> you as a relay. That's because it puts the local domains into the
> files control/locals and control/rcpthosts.

The way I understand this though is that if I put only my local domain in
rcpthosts, users within my domain which are using mail clients on PC's
will not be able to use me as a relay. They, obviously, need to be able to
send mail with a recipient of anywhere.

Paul C. Diem
pcdiem@FoxValley.net