Mailing List Archive

bounceman-0.4 / list-owner and list-owner-default
Hey,

I've just converted my majordomo/sendmail based mailing lists over to
a new server running patched majordomo with qmail 0.96. So far so
good.

While I was at it, I thought I'd put into effect Russel Nelson's
bounceman package and simplify my maintenance (I have one particularly
large list which is a pain in the neck to deal with). I am having
trouble getting it to work, though.

Somehow, when a bounce message is generated, it never seems to get to
the incbounces script... I used the installbounces script to get
things going, but then had to manually modify
.qmail-test-owner-default (I'm working with a list called "test" to
start with) so that it said

|./incbounces test

instead of

|./incbounces LIST

I assume that was correct?

I then added a fake address to the list (bouncey-bouncey@nicoh.com),
but my bounces just go to the email address in .qmail-test-owner and
never reach incbounces.

So, I thought maybe I should sym-link .qmail-test-owner to
.qmail-test-owner-default and just make sure it gets to incbounces.

When I do that, I get a message that the mailing list name doesn't
match or something like that. Looking through the incbounces script I
get the impression that qmail is somehow supposed to pass the bad
address to incbounces as a second argument.

Reading through the qmail-command man page mentions some special
handling for the case of .qmail-foo-owner and
.qmail-foo-owner-default, but I just don't understand what qmail is
doing (or what it's supposed to do).

Can anyone shed some light?

Oh yeah, there's one more slight complication... I have all of my
lists set so that the name is: list@nicoh.com which directs the mail
initially to our main mailserver which is still running sendmail at
the moment. That server then has aliases which direct the mail over
to our mailing list server (list@kijabe.nicoh.com) running qmail.
Further, I have majordomo's resend line set so that the sender of the
messages comes out reading "owner-list@nicoh.com" without
kijabe.nicoh.com... Significant experimentation seems to indicate
that this isn't the problem, though.

Oh yeah, here's a list of configuration info:

qmail-0.96 on RedHat 4.0 from the qmail RPM.
majordomo-1.94.1 with the mj+qmail-1.0 patches
bounceman-0.4

Our main mailserver is an HP-UX 9.04 system with sendmail as supplied
by HP (meaning that it's a funky, old version of sendmail
independently patched up to look something like the more modern
versions). On the main mailserver I have aliases for list,
list-request, owner-list, list-owner, majordomo, all directing mail
over to the maling list server (kijabe).

advTHANKSance,
Danny

--------
Daniel Simmons e-mail : simmdan@nicoh.com
NICOH Net, Inc. voice : (800) 406-3191
"The Telecom/Internet Experts" snail : 200 S. Main, Suite O
Pocatello, Idaho 83201
Re: bounceman-0.4 / list-owner and list-owner-default [ In reply to ]

> Somehow, when a bounce message is generated, it never seems to get to
> the incbounces script... I used the installbounces script to get
> things going, but then had to manually modify
i just sent russ a few patches on friday. the scripts themselves were
fine, but the installbounces script (which i suspect russ has never had
much reason to use himself) needed some tweaking. i can send you the
changes if you'd like. (the changes fix both of your first two problems.)

> Reading through the qmail-command man page mentions some special
> handling for the case of .qmail-foo-owner and
> .qmail-foo-owner-default, but I just don't understand what qmail is
> doing (or what it's supposed to do).
look for the string "VERP" in the man pages -- that's dan's term (Variable
Envelope Return Paths) for what should perhaps have been called something like
"addressee-specific return paths", for clarity. (On the other hand, it
used to be called the "owner hack", so i guess i shouldn't complain. :-)
the idea is that every member of the list gets a message with a different
return path on it. it looks funny to the human recipient, but if their
mail ever bounces, it forms a unique indication for the list manager of who
the mail was sent to in the first place, so that the problem can be dealt
with reliably.

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma)