QMAILUSER but the real username of the sender always shows up in the
From: address. Has anyone gotten this masquerading to work? Thanks!

-Sean Taylor
Re: Where is checkpassword and how to spoof usernames in pine [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, VCI Administration wrote:

> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 00:03:52 +0000 ()
> From: VCI Administration <admin@vcommunities.com>
> To: djb-qmail@koobera.math.uic.edu
> Subject: Where is checkpassword and how to spoof usernames in pine
>

> Hello all. The title pretty much sums up my 2 questions. WRT the
> second, I've tried setting the environment variables MAILUSER and
> QMAILUSER but the real username of the sender always shows up in the
> From: address. Has anyone gotten this masquerading to work? Thanks!
>
> -Sean Taylor

If you find out, please post a summary to this mailing list. I would be
interested in the same information.

David Wayne Summers "Linux: The choice of a GNU generation."
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us PGP Public Key available on request.
PGP Key fingerprint = C0 E0 4F 50 DD A9 B6 2B 60 A1 31 7E D2 28 6D A8
Re: Where is checkpassword and how to spoof usernames in pine [ In reply to ]
At 12:03 AM 2/15/97 +0000, VCI Administration wrote:

>Hello all. The title pretty much sums up my 2 questions. WRT the
>second, I've tried setting the environment variables MAILUSER and
>QMAILUSER but the real username of the sender always shows up in the
>From: address. Has anyone gotten this masquerading to work? Thanks!

checkpassword is distributed as a separate package. Find it on
ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/pub/software.

mailuser and qmailuser ONLY affect qmail-inject. It works for many people.
I haven't used it myself, but you're the first person to report trouble
with it.
-russ
Re: Where is checkpassword and how to spoof usernames in pine [ In reply to ]
[ Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> 1997-2 -17 15:34 MET ]
|---
| At 12:03 AM 2/15/97 +0000, VCI Administration wrote:
| >
| >Hello all. The title pretty much sums up my 2 questions. WRT the
| >second, I've tried setting the environment variables MAILUSER and
| >QMAILUSER but the real username of the sender always shows up in the
| >From: address. Has anyone gotten this masquerading to work? Thanks!
|
| mailuser and qmailuser ONLY affect qmail-inject. It works for many
| people.|
|---

qmail-inject will not override an existing From: field even if QMAILUSER
is set. Clearly, the MUA must be setting the field in this case.

- Harald