Mailing List Archive

Minor feature request for smtproutes
Mark Delany <markd@mira.net.au> writes:

>It would be nice if you could place an IP address as the relay address in
>smtproutes rather than a name that *has* to be in the DNS. This is especially
>useful for domains that have yet to become visible or domains that use
>unrouted internal addresses that are used as a gateway. Alternatively, it
>would be nice if qmail-remote was not limited to relying on the resolver
>library for the hosts nominated in smtproutes.

In the CHANGES file, there's a note:

19961114 change: dns_ip() now recognizes [1.2.3.4]. tnx DS.

The man page for qmail-remote says bracketed IP addresses on the
command line are understood, and I seem to remember Dan saying
they could be used in the smtproutes file also. (If so, the
man page for qmail-remote could use a minor update)

I remember asking for that feature in smtproutes so mail could be
forwarded without doing *any* DNS lookups on the target host.
My recollection was that Dan implemented it in a way I didn't
expect - in the DNS routines rather than in qmail-remote itself.

-Greg
--
Greg Andrews West Coast Online
Unix System Administrator 5800 Redwood Drive
Re: Minor feature request for smtproutes [ In reply to ]
At 06:14 PM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Mark Delany <markd@mira.net.au> writes:
>>
>>It would be nice if you could place an IP address as the relay address in
>>smtproutes rather than a name that *has* to be in the DNS. This is especially
>>useful for domains that have yet to become visible or domains that use
>>unrouted internal addresses that are used as a gateway. Alternatively, it
>>would be nice if qmail-remote was not limited to relying on the resolver
>>library for the hosts nominated in smtproutes.
>>

>In the CHANGES file, there's a note:
>
> 19961114 change: dns_ip() now recognizes [1.2.3.4]. tnx DS.

Hmm. My brain must be on backwards. I'm sure I tried that. Thanks.

Regards.
Re: Minor feature request for smtproutes [ In reply to ]
Mark Delany <markd@mira.net.au> writes:
>At 06:14 PM 2/14/97 -0800, Greg Andrews wrote:
>>
>>In the CHANGES file, there's a note:
>>
>> 19961114 change: dns_ip() now recognizes [1.2.3.4]. tnx DS.
>
>Hmm. My brain must be on backwards. I'm sure I tried that. Thanks.

I might have misunderstood Dan about whether it worked in the
smtproutes file. Please do let me know if it works for you,
as I'm homing to start using that feature soon myself.

-Greg
Re: Minor feature request for smtproutes [ In reply to ]
Works just fine as:

target.domain:[A.B.C.D]

Not forgetting the [] characters.