only one of them during delivery? Please advise. Thanks.

Dileep Agrawal

-EOM-
Re: SCREENING EMAIL [ In reply to ]
[ WorldLink Communication <shyam@wlhq.wlink.com.np> 1997-2 -14 20:59 MET ]
|---
| How can I configure qmail to screen for email coming from a
| particular domain?

I am not sure what you mean by that. Do you want to reject mail from a
particular domain? The easy way is to run qmail-smtpd under inetd+tcpd or
tcpserver+tcpcontrol, and reject connections from certain ranges of IP
addresses. Or do you as a user want to do clever things to your mail
based on which domain it came from? Then pipe the mail through a filter.
qmail-alias will set up the sender address in $SENDER for your filter to
use. Or do you want to do clever things to all mail coming to your site
from a particular domain? If so, look for the word RELAYCLIENT in the FAQ
file. This lets you route all incoming mail into a virtual domain
controlled by the user of your choice, who can then run the mail through
some kind of clever filter before reinjecting it in the queue.

| I understand that this can be done by creating .qmail in ~alias.

Not unless I have misunderstood you completely. ~alias/.qmail controls
mail to local addresses that are not controlled by any other user.

| Also, if I have .qmail-foo-default for user
| foo, would qmail read .qmail as well as .qmail-foo-default or
| only one of them during delivery? Please advise. Thanks.
|---

Try not to confuse mailbox names with user names. The local address foo
is controlled by user foo if there is such a user. If there is no user
foo, and only then, does the ~alias/.qmail-* files come into play. It is
important to realize that only one .qmail file is ever considered for any
delivery. qmail-alias will look through a short list of possibilities,
pick the first match, and ignore the rest.

So mail for a nonexistent user foo is handled by one of these files:

~alias/.qmail-foo (first choice)
~alias/.qmail-default (if the above did not exist)

and if none of these files exists, the mail is bounced.

Mail for foo-bar, where foo is not a user, is handled by one of

~alias/.qmail-foo-bar (first choice)
~alias/.qmail-foo-default (if the above did not exist)
~alias/.qmail-default (if none of the above exist)

or else the mail is bounced.

I hope this helps. (But note that assignments made in
/var/qmail/users/assign can change this story somewhat.)

- Harald