Is there a way for me to get qmail to redeliver mail that would be
delivered locally to this machine's SMTP port (so that sendmail will take
care of it)?

Evan
--
Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau
http://www.synapse.net/ * Synapse Internet
Re: Running sendmail and qmail together [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Evan Champion wrote:
> I'm preparing to make the big step to running qmail on my large mailing
> list. If the test works well, then I'm going to replace sendmail altogether.
>
> In the meantime, however, I'd like to run sendmail and qmail in
> parallel. qmail would only handle outgoing mail for the mailing list,
> while all incoming stuff would still be handled by sendmail.
>
> Is there a way for me to get qmail to redeliver mail that would be
> delivered locally to this machine's SMTP port (so that sendmail will take
> care of it)?

I did just this recently. Here's the writeup I meant to do - others can
feel free to add it to a FAQ file if they wish. Or tell me of easier ways
to do it, I guess.

1) Go through the regular INSTALL instructions up through step 19 - i.e.,
start the qmail daemons running but don't kill sendmail nor make any
changes to inetd, etc.

2) Create a DNS name solely for qmail use, i.e. "qmail.synapse.net" -
make it an A record to the same machine as "synapse.net".

3) Put *only* "qmail.synapse.net" in the locals file.

4) Put the following in smtproutes:

synapse.net:synapse.net

This will tell qmail that for any user@synapse.net on your lists, deliver
by connecting to port 25 on "synpase.net" rather than trying to deliver
locally, even though the DNS indicates it's the same machine. Hmm, you
should probably do this for any alias that synapse.net might be known by.

5) Let's say the list is called "testlist". In ~alias you make a file
called ".qmail-testlist" which contains the recipients of the list.

6) In your /etc/aliases file you probably have a line like

testlist: :include:/path/to/listfile

change this to

testlist: "|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -a \
-ftestlist-owner@synapse.net testlist@qmail.synapse.net"

I *think* this is everything - when a message comes into sendmail destined
for "testlist", sendmail injects it into qmail's queue using qmail-inject.
Qmail goes off and delivers the mail, but when it reaches addresses for
users at synapse.net, instead of trying to look for ~user/.qmail files and
delivering to ~user/Mailbox, it connects to the SMTP daemon on
synapse.net, which happens to be sendmail.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Brian

brian@hyperreal.com http://www.apache.org http://www.organic.com/jobs