Mailing List Archive

~alias/dir/.qmail files
I recall a complaint about having hundreds of ~alias/.qmail-username files
based on the instructions in FAQ 6. Someone suggested splitting up ~alias
something like ~alias/a/.qmail-aname but didn't give details. Is this
something that can be easily done? If so, how?

Thanks.

Ron
Re: ~alias/dir/.qmail files [ In reply to ]
> I recall a complaint about having hundreds of ~alias/.qmail-username files
> based on the instructions in FAQ 6. Someone suggested splitting up ~alias
> something like ~alias/a/.qmail-aname but didn't give details.

That was me.

Our setup involves several hundred virtualdomains which require delivery
to a maildir for subsequent processing by serialmail.

We generate entries like this in virtualdomains...

foo.co.uk:mail-f/foo.co.uk

And we create ~mail/.qmail-f/foo:co:uk-default, which contains this
delivery instruction...

/var/qmail/queue/Maildir/f/foo.co.uk/

So there is a 36 directory fanout [a-z0-9] for both the .qmail files
themselves, and the maildirs.

None of this will help with normal aliases, but if you're using
qmail-users(5), you can put lines like this into users/assign (perhaps
via users/append)...

+a:alias:<uid>:<gid>:/var/qmail/alias/a::-a:
+b:alias:<uid>:<gid>:/var/qmail/alias/b::-b:

Then mail to <albert> will ve handled by ~alias/a/.qmail-albert, mail to
<bertie> will be handled by ~alias/b/.qmail-bertie, etc.

Tim.
Re: ~alias/dir/.qmail files [ In reply to ]
> +a:alias:<uid>:<gid>:/var/qmail/alias/a::-a:

It's probably better to do

+a:alias:<uid>:<gid>:/var/qmail/alias/a:-:a:

The difference is how a nonexistent .qmail is handled: the first form
will follow ALIAS_EMPTY (putting messages into alias/a/Mailbox), while
the second form will bounce the message.

---Dan
Put an end to unauthorized mail relaying. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html