Mailing List Archive

Q: qmail and selective gateway
Hi,

since I got qmail working fine I now ran in an configuration
problem:

We have three sites connected with linux-workstations and isdn4linux.
On each workstation qmail is running and delivers mails either to the internet
or to one of the other hosts via a direct ISDN-PPP-line (for security and speed
reasons).

The problem ist the "reply to"-field: The real DNS-name of the workstations
is "host{c,p,n}1.indisoft.inx.de", while our internet-pop is somewhere
else located at domain "indisoft.com". Now either the field could be
"xxx@indisoft.com" or "xxx@host{c,p,n}1.indisoft.inx.de"

So I have to decide to either name the "reply to"-field as the real server
behind the PPP-line, then a reply within our PPP-links works fine but then
every mail sent to the internet also has this reply-field, and since the
three workstations are dial-on-demand-only, the replies will not get deliverd.

So what I want to do is set the "reply-to" field ALWAYS to "@indisoft.com"
and let qmail decide whether the mail (in this case the reply in our PPP-links)
goes to a well known user, and then manually send it to a transponded
adress (yyy@indisoft.com is known => forward to yyy@hostp1.indisoft.com,
zzz@xxx.com unknown => forward to zzz@xxx.com to the internet).

Ha, you would say, nothing more easy like that, set up a virtual domain!
The problem is, that in fact there are users at "@indisoft.com" that are not
located in our PPP-link (e.g. they work at home or in other cities), so that
the selection must be even more precise: ggg@indisoft.com is known AND
in our PPP-link => forward to hostc1.indisoft.inx.de, hhh@indisoft.com is also
known BUT not in our system => deliver the mail to indisoft.com (pop3).

In the FAQ there is the possibility of "host:user" in "virtualdomains" stated.
But I'm not sure whether this gives me enough flexibility to be that selective.

Hoping for help,

Raphael Leiteritz