Mailing List Archive

problem with qmail and slow hosts
I'm running qmail 0.96 on a majordomo list server. Most of the time it
works wonderfully. A message for a list come in, qmail starts up over
100 simultaneous processes and delivers nearly all of the mail.

Its nice to have an MTA that's so small. The machine we're running
qmail on is a Pentium 133 w/160Megs of RAM. We deal with about 200,000
messages a day and when we used sendmail the machine was way
overloaded. Especially with all the messages that end up getting
queued. Sendmail's queue would get filled up and everything would just
get worse and worse. Qmail deals very nicely with all that.

However, I have encountered one problem with Qmail. When alot of
outgoing mail is destined for a slow host all the 'pipes' can get
clogged. We're running with 180 concurrent connections and there are
still times when 160 of those connections are tied up waiting to time
out while attempting to connect to aol.com's MXs. Is there anything I
can do about this? Is there any chance of a concurrency_remote_perhost
feature ending up in a future version of Qmail?

Thanks,
Rourke McNamara