Mailing List Archive

Loss of qmail from Ubnuto LTS 22.04
Hi list,

For some while qmail has been include in ubuntu distributions.
However, as of 22.04, it is no longer included. Below are a couple of
steps I have been helped to use (thanks Richard Lyons) to resolve this.

1. Add a suitable line to /etc/apt/sources.list to access the version
from focal (20.04). I added

# Stuff to get qmail
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal universe

You can do this in an editor by copying the corresponding line for
jammy (22.04) and exchanging jammy for focal, or via a command line
such as (putting your addition somewhere more specific)

echo "deb http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main universe" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qmail.list

2. Install qmail. Exactly what's needed here seems to depend on
whether you installed 22.04 from scratch, or upgraded from something
like 20.04. The package manager seems a bit confused (at least it was
for me)

sudo apt-get install qmail # From scratch install (verified Richard Lyons)

sudo apt-get install qmail-run # Update case (verified by me)

I've no doubt this will need to be done again in a couple of years
when 24.04 becomes the standard (rinse repeat every two years).

--
Jon Thackray - jgt@pobox.com
+44 1223 276500 (home)
Re: Loss of qmail from Ubnuto LTS 22.04 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 at 21:10, Jon Thackray <jgt@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> For some while qmail has been include in ubuntu distributions.
> However, as of 22.04, it is no longer included. Below are a couple of
> steps I have been helped to use (thanks Richard Lyons) to resolve this.
>
> 1. Add a suitable line to /etc/apt/sources.list to access the version
> from focal (20.04). I added
>
> # Stuff to get qmail
> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal universe
>
> You can do this in an editor by copying the corresponding line for
> jammy (22.04) and exchanging jammy for focal, or via a command line
> such as (putting your addition somewhere more specific)
>
> echo "deb http://fr.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main universe" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qmail.list
>
> 2. Install qmail. Exactly what's needed here seems to depend on
> whether you installed 22.04 from scratch, or upgraded from something
> like 20.04. The package manager seems a bit confused (at least it was
> for me)
>
> sudo apt-get install qmail # From scratch install (verified Richard Lyons)
>
> sudo apt-get install qmail-run # Update case (verified by me)
>
> I've no doubt this will need to be done again in a couple of years
> when 24.04 becomes the standard (rinse repeat every two years).

You can try notqmail for 22.04

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/notqmail/xUbuntu_22.04/
/' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:notqmail.list
curl -fsSL https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:notqmail/xUbuntu_22.04/Release.key
| gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/home_notqmail.gpg >
/dev/null
sudo apt update
sudo apt install notqmail

--