Mailing List Archive

Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS
It appears that Andy Bradford <amb-sendok-1664228910.kbfabenlkjeidojhkdch@bradfords.org> said:
>Thus said George Georgalis on Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:47:19 -0700:
>
>> I don't like the idea of greeting delay, imagine if all smtp did that?
>
>This might shed a different light on the matter:
>
>http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/spamware/
>
>As far as what would happen if all SMTP did that? It would likely have
>minimal impact on legitimate senders.

Adding an extra 90 seconds per connection? That would have a huge
effect, considering that a typial SMTP session is something like 10
seconds. I suppose if you only do it on generic-looking PTRs that is a
small fraction of legit senders 90 seconds is silly.

This seems to be a chronic problem with techniques like greylisting or
greet-pause, people imagine that if some of it is good, more is
better. My greylister only delays connections from IPs that have never
successfully retried before, and accepts a retry from anything in the
/24 for IPv4 or the same /64 for IPv6. It catches a lot of spamware
and I do not believe it would be any more effective it if were a lot
more aggressive or did it on every message, while I would lose a lot
more mail and subject my users to delays.

A greet pause of 10 seconds would be as effective as 90 seconds, and
there is no point to doing it on any IP that has waited on previous
connections.

R's,
John
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
Thus said "John Levine" on 27 Aug 2022 18:03:10 -0400:

> >As far as what would happen if all SMTP did that? It would likely
> >have minimal impact on legitimate senders.
>
> Adding an extra 90 seconds per connection?

I did not suggest that at all, and quite frankly, neither did the study.
90 seconds was merely the value used to perform the experiment, it is
not a final value. It was set high at 90 seconds so that the behaviors
of different MTAs could be observed. Of course, since you read the
study, you should already know that 90 seconds was not suggested as a
general rule.

When George asked the question about "what would happen if all
SMTP imposed greeting delay", no specific timeout value had been in
discussion. I offered a link to the "study" to show that some greeting
delay is actually quite effective in blocking spam.

> A greet pause of 10 seconds would be as effective as 90 seconds, and
> there is no point to doing it on any IP that has waited on previous
> connections.

I think you're observation is proper. Again, nobody suggested 90 seconds
was a "good" value for a greeting delay.

I assume that you didn't read the entire study or you would have read
this:

"A possible improvement would be to record those hosts that pass
the 'wait test' and allow them to connect without delay in the
future."

And:

"This host now implements a one second 220 delay for all hosts,
and rejects transfer attempts from any that send data in that
period."

I think 1 second isn't enough and some values between 10--30 are best.

Andy
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
Thus said Michael Sierchio on Sat, 27 Aug 2022 18:15:43 -0400:

> Your second point requires maintaining a list of (presumed) legitimate
> SMTP sources after you've conversed. That's likely to be burdensome,
> and addresses shouldn't be considered permanent.

Maintaining a list of those that pass the "greeting" test is a simple
task for any administrator worth his salt. It could be easily automated.
However, I also don't think it's worth it. No human is going to notice a
10 second delay in SMTP delivery.

Andy
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
After an admittedly small-scale empirical testing period, I landed on 15
seconds as my GREETDELAY value. 10 seconds was also effective.

- David Bell
===========================
A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
O bom viajante não tem planos fixos e não se concentra apenas em chegar.
— Lao Tzu

Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 27 Aug 2022, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Your second point requires maintaining a list of (presumed) legitimate SMTP
> sources after you've conversed. That's likely to be burdensome, and
> addresses shouldn't be considered permanent.

My greylist daemon remembers addreses and it's no big deal. It forgets
IPs that have sent no mail for 90 days to keep the table from getting too
large. It currently has about 4000 entries.

Keep in mind that you don't have to remember addresses perfectly or across
every MTA you operate. If each MTA keeps its own list that's good enough
since it in practice most of the legit mail you get comes from hosts that
have sent you mail before.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
It appears that Andy Bradford <amb-sendok-1664231262.jcakmepobneebgoinnkd@bradfords.org> said:
>Maintaining a list of those that pass the "greeting" test is a simple
>task for any administrator worth his salt. It could be easily automated.
>However, I also don't think it's worth it. No human is going to notice a
>10 second delay in SMTP delivery.

You're right about the humans and the per-message delay, but if a
typical delivery takes about 10 seconds, you're cutting the rate at
which you accept mail in half when you're near your concurrency limit.
That's something humans are likely to notice. You could increase the
limit but then you're making it easier to get yourself DoS'ed by a
bunch of giant messages.

R's,
John
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
Hi,

(sorry to be late in the threat; hardisk failure).

I've implemented both

- greylisting (working with Schweikert's Postfix Greylisting daemon) in
qmail-smtpd and
- Greetdelay as feature of rblsmtpd

in my packages (s/qmail, ucspi-tcp6).

On the bottom line, they work both effectively. However, Greetdelay is
stateless and does not require a database to consider. With some useful
settings in the tcpd.smtp cdb's you have the advantage that mails are
NOT delayed except for the given Greetdelay period.
Here 60s seems to be a good bargain to exclude botnet devices.

Regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
PGP key-id: 20FD6E671A94DC1E
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
Thus said Erwin Hoffmann on Fri, 09 Sep 2022 00:20:34 +0200:

> On the bottom line, they work both effectively. However, Greetdelay is
> stateless and does not require a database to consider.

This is precisely why I continue to use greetdelay. It's overhead is
miniscule, it's benefits are decent, so while it doesn't block as much
as I would like, the fact that it is 99% hands free makes it an
attractive mechanism for me.

As for greylisting, at one point I used it heavily, but lately I haven't
actually needed it (probably due to manually maintained RBLs), and in
the cases where I do need it, I offload it to OpenBSD's spamd(8) to keep
qmail's sources smaller.

http://man.openbsd.org/spamd

Andy
Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 9 Sep 2022, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> - greylisting (working with Schweikert's Postfix Greylisting daemon) in
> qmail-smtpd and
> - Greetdelay as feature of rblsmtpd
>
> in my packages (s/qmail, ucspi-tcp6).
>
> On the bottom line, they work both effectively. However, Greetdelay is
> stateless and does not require a database to consider. With some useful
> settings in the tcpd.smtp cdb's you have the advantage that mails are
> NOT delayed except for the given Greetdelay period.
?? Here 60s seems to be a good bargain to exclude botnet devices.

As I said a few messages ago, if you do a greet delay on every connection,
rather than only on unknown hosts, you will vastly decrease the throughput
of your mail server. Every delivery that used to take 3 seconds now takes
63 seconds. On tiny servers I suppose that is OK, but if you have a
significant amount of traffic, that would be bad news.

Re: greet-pause, was Google & STARTTLS [ In reply to ]
FWIW I’ve been using a combination of “greetdelay” and greylisting for years … every connection has a ten-second greetdelay, and … I *think* my greylist timer is on the order of five minutes, I haven’t really had to think about it much for the past few years.

At one point I was toying with the idea of tying the two together, so that “known” IPs don’t have to deal with a greetdelay at all, but $DAYJOB keeps me pretty busy so I haven’t had time to think about it in detail.

Sent from my iPad