Mailing List Archive

Re: mandatory delivery, was Google & STARTTLS
It appears that Andy Bradford <amb-sendok-1664126233.kagdfbiannnnpnbflfom@bradfords.org> said:
>I think we have to be careful telling people what their mail service can
>and cannot "legally" do with respect to filtering.

I took a look at some of the cases and they are odd decisions mostly from over a decade ago.
One was about a lawyer who missed a message in his spam folder that was relevant to his client.
Another was about a former employee whose mail account was cancelled some time after he left,
written in a way that both made it unclear whether the judge understood that email is not
postal make, and what this might have had to do with an employer's duties to an (ex-)employee.

None of them are relevant anywhere other than Germany. In the US any law mandating email
delivery would fall afoul of the First Amendment, although the badly written Texas law
that purports to tell social networks how to run themselves tries to do that, and is in
the midst of convoluted court challenges.

None of this has any relationship to qmail.

With respect to the message saying that the sender's mail system had
never done anything bad and Gmail was making life harder, yeah, they
are, and it's nothing personal. Spammers ruin things for everyone.

R's,
John