--

Jeremy Kister
https://jeremy.kister.net./
Re: multiple extension address separators [ In reply to ]
On 4/26/2022 1:43 PM, Manvendra Bhangui wrote:
> isn't this possible by changing /var/qmail/users/assign file, changing
> '-' to '+' and rebuilding the cdb?

Well that's going to change the separator to a plus, right?

I want both a + and a - to behave the same, so I can use both
jeremy-foo@ and jeremy+foo@ on the same installation.

--

Jeremy Kister
https://jeremy.kister.net./
Re: multiple extension address separators [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Apr 2022 at 00:52, Jeremy Kister <qmail-09@jeremykister.com> wrote:

> On 4/26/2022 1:43 PM, Manvendra Bhangui wrote:
> > isn't this possible by changing /var/qmail/users/assign file, changing
> > '-' to '+' and rebuilding the cdb?
>
> Well that's going to change the separator to a plus, right?
>
> I want both a + and a - to behave the same, so I can use both
> jeremy-foo@ and jeremy+foo@ on the same installation.

Ok. I got it now. You will have to modify qmeox() and qmesearch() in
qmail-local.c. you can have something like this for dash

-,+

in the assign file, which means either '-' or '+' in the assign file.
Using byte_chr() or str_chr() for comma one can do stat for both the
.qmail file accordingly

I haven't come across any patch which does that.

--
Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
GPG Pub Key
Re: multiple extension address separators [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeremey,

the qmail assign mechanism is not looking at the extension, if setup
properly. Unfortunate, the description is a bit too short.

Am Dienstag, dem 26.04.2022 um 12:17 -0400 schrieb Jeremy Kister:
> Does anyone have a patch or method that lets qmail's address
> separator
> be either a dash or a plus symbol?
>
> i want qmail-local (and vpopmail, but ...) to understand that
> jeremy+foo@ should be handled the same way as jeremy-foo@.

This is facilitated (to my knowledge) by simply

+jeremy:...

in users/assign. The typical usage is however:

+jeremy-:...

There is no reason to follow that scheme. qmail-newu (and qmail-lspawn)
use the local part of your email address only. The rest is irrelevant.
In the latter case, VERP addresses are considered as well.
This is different from virtualdomains, where account addresses (a la
vpopmail) are PREPENDED.

Virtual domain addresses are treated by qmail-newu as

+PREPENDED:...

again, following the typical syntax

+PREPENDED-:...

which is actually not required here.

Does this solve your problem?

Regards.
--eh.

@Manvendra: Do you agree?

Regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
PGP key-id: 20FD6E671A94DC1E
Re: multiple extension address separators [ In reply to ]
On 4/26/2022 4:19 PM, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:
> There is no reason to follow that scheme. qmail-newu (and qmail-lspawn)
> use the local part of your email address only. The rest is irrelevant.
> In the latter case, VERP addresses are considered as well.
> This is different from virtualdomains, where account addresses (a la
> vpopmail) are PREPENDED.

Thanks for the detail. I'll have to experiment with it+vpopmail.

Thanks!

--

Jeremy Kister
https://jeremy.kister.net./