Debian 11 Bullseye. Actually i am ready! Really!

(Well i am not spammer, i am farmer from South Korea)

Sincerely, QMTP fan Byung-Hee
Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Hi Byung-Hee,

Your email was received to the list twice.

Basically the setup of the server side is the same as for qmail-smtpd, except the program is qmtpd not smtpd, and the port (for the UCSPI server) is the QMTP port (grep qmtp /etc/services), not the SMTP port.

There is a QMTP-enabled version of qmail-remote available in the public Internet as a patch to stock qmail but I don't believe anyone uses it.

Sorry I could not walk you through the matter.

Sincerely, Ellenor Bjornsdottir.

Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Dear Ellenor Bjornsdottir,

Ellenor Bjornsdottir <ellenor@umbrellix.net> writes:

> Hi Byung-Hee,
>
> Your email was received to the list twice.
>
> Basically the setup of the server side is the same as for qmail-smtpd, except the program is
> qmtpd not smtpd, and the port (for the UCSPI server) is the QMTP port (grep qmtp
> /etc/services), not the SMTP port.
>
> There is a QMTP-enabled version of qmail-remote available in the public Internet as a patch
> to stock qmail but I don't believe anyone uses it.
>
> Sorry I could not walk you through the matter.

Very happy nice replying because i like very much QMTP! With your
explaination i should have to study! Thank you very so much!!!

(sorry for twice resend)

Sincerely, Byung-Hee from South Korea
Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Hi Bjyung-Hee,

the protocol QMTP(S) is fully covered in my fork of qmail:

https://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmail.html

Here, QMTP is TLS enabled as well. qmail-remote is a client for SMTP
and QMTP.

Regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
Re: QMTP? Not worth doing [ In reply to ]
It appears that ? ??? ? ? <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> said:
>Hi still i have some rommance about qmail's new technick such as QMTP
>and MXPS. So many time i read and read about QMTP but there is no
>install howto. Could you please introduce me howto setup QMTP under
>Debian 11 Bullseye. Actually i am ready! Really!

Since nobody else uses QMTP, there's no reason to set it up. The speed
difference from SMTP is insignificant, and it has no way to set up
TLS to encrypt sessions.

QMQP, which is simpler, is somewhat useful to send mail from a PC
or workstation with no mail system to the local mail host.

R's,
John
Re: QMTP? Not worth doing [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

actally I don't know the use case of Byung-Hee for using qmail, but I
would like to oppose strongly against to some of your arguments:

Am Dienstag, dem 21.12.2021 um 14:36 -0500 schrieb John Levine:
> It appears that      <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> said:
> > Hi still i have some rommance about qmail's new technick such as
> > QMTP
> > and MXPS. So many time i read and read about QMTP but there is no
> > install howto. Could you please introduce me howto setup QMTP under
> > Debian 11 Bullseye. Actually i am ready! Really!
>

> Since nobody else uses QMTP, there's no reason to set it up.

1. Hm. I'm using it; as can be seen in this email header.

> The speed
> difference from SMTP is insignificant,

2. Hm. I'm not sure about it. SMTP is ASCII based only, using CRLF as
line delimitor. To transfer binary message MIME/Base64 encapsulation is
required (+20% of size of original message). Thus both the client and
the receiver has to decode the message + unnecessary bandwith usage.
SMTP is a protocol of the 80s (HTTP plays in the same league and
suffers from the same problems).

> and it has no way to set up
> TLS to encrypt sessions.

3. No. QMTPS uses a standarized port:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6209

> QMQP, which is simpler, is somewhat useful to send mail from a PC
> or workstation with no mail system to the local mail host.

4. Yes. This can be beneficial.

We are experiencing the fact that 'messageing' is mostly done by
proprietary providers like WhatsApp and Telegram today. Mail seems to
be so clumsy. And yes: This is true regarding the mail clients.
The other part of the story (regarding SMTP) is, that our entire
communication is hosted on 'aspmx.l.google.com.' or 'outlook.com.' and
few others IN CLEARTEXT.

We should think about it.

Regards.
--eh.

--
Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | www.fehcom.de
Re: QMTP? Not worth doing [ In reply to ]
It appears that Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> said:
>> The speed
>> difference from SMTP is insignificant,
>
>2. Hm. I'm not sure about it. SMTP is ASCII based only, using CRLF as
>line delimitor. To transfer binary message MIME/Base64 encapsulation is
>required (+20% of size of original message). Thus both the client and
>the receiver has to decode the message + unnecessary bandwith usage.
>SMTP is a protocol of the 80s (HTTP plays in the same league and
>suffers from the same problems).

SMTP has CHUNKING and BINARYMIME if you want to send binary stuff.
Very few people do, but there are plenty of MTAs that support them.

>> and it has no way to set up
>> TLS to encrypt sessions.
>
>3. No. QMTPS uses a standarized port:
>
>http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=6209

That's fine but how are clients supposed to find it? Doing a probe and a timeout
on every MX lookup seems suboptimal.

R's,
John
Re: QMTP? Not worth doing [ In reply to ]
I've hypothesized, mostly privately, that the MXPS proposed by the good Professor isn't fit for purpose and if we want to support a multiple-MTP environment, we should start using SRV records for mail exchangers supporting non-SMTP mail exchange. I haven't yet mocked up a prototype qmail-remote implementation supporting SRV lookup. Am I completely out to lunch, here?

I'm aware QMTP has a position in the MXPS. I am not aware of the convention for QMTPS.

Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Dear Doctor Hoffmann,

Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> writes:

> Hi Bjyung-Hee,
>

> the protocol QMTP(S) is fully covered in my fork of qmail:
>
> https://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmail.html
>
> Here, QMTP is TLS enabled as well. qmail-remote is a client for SMTP
> and QMTP.

Long time no see, because i used spamcontrol about 10 years ago under
FreeBSD. Actually i have good feeling with spamcontrol. So i believe you
and your technick!

Could you please give me installation sqmail with QMTP - step by step?!

(currently i have both Ubuntu and Debian machines)
(plus your mail headers are beautiful ^^^)

Sincerely, QMTP fan Byung-Hee
Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

you will find the installation documentation on my web site.

https://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmaildoc.html

If you need to setup qmail-qmtpd with sslserver (recommended) QMTP(S)
can be instructed to do relaying upon X.509 certs given.

See the header of this mail.

Regards.
--eh.

Re: [RESEND] QMTP? [ In reply to ]
Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> you will find the installation documentation on my web site.
>
> https://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmaildoc.html
>
> If you need to setup qmail-qmtpd with sslserver (recommended) QMTP(S)
> can be instructed to do relaying upon X.509 certs given.
>
> See the header of this mail.

Thanks, i'll try it!

Sincerely, QMTP fan Byung-Hee