Mailing List Archive

Released: GeoLite2 support for tcpserver in ucspi-tcp
Hi Qmailers,

GeoLite2 support for tcpserver in ucspi-tcp is now available.

See http://www.inter7.com/inter7-developed-gpl-software/ucspi-tcp-geoip/

Now support is available for both the old GeoIP library/database and
the new GeoLite2 library and database.

ucspi-tcp-pid-geoip-0.89.tar.gz supports old GeoIP version
ucspi-tcp-pid-geoipmmd-89.tar.gz supports new GeoLite2 version.

Both versions support the same features.

New GeoLite2 version requires
1) Install libmaxminddb-1.4.2.tar.gz library available on GitHub
2) Must sign up for a MaxMinds free account to download
the new GeoLite2-Country.mmdb database

Features:

You can set an environment variable named DENYCOUNTRY with a comma
separated list of 2 digit country codes so tcpserver will deny
connections from those countries.

Or you could set ALLOWCOUNTRY environment variable with a list of
country codes to only allow connections and deny to any other.

If either DENYCOUNTRY or ALLOWCOUNTRY is set then tcpserver adds
the country code to the end of the deny or ok log lines to
help with reporting.

We are using the new GeoLite2 to block spam from countries that send us
lots of spam. It is blocking about 60% of spam on smtp (port 25).

We are also using it to lock down access to smtps (port 465),
pop3 (port 110) and submission (port 587) to only allow access
from countries our users are in.

Please let me know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken Jones
Inter7