Mailing List Archive

GeoIP support now available for tcpserver ucspi-tcp
GeoIP support for tcpserver in ucspi-tcp package is now available.

See http://www.inter7.com/inter7-developed-gpl-software/ucspi-tcp-geoip/

Details are listed on the page.

You can download the new version here
http://www.inter7.com/source/ucspi-tcp-pid-geoip-0.88.tar.gz

Basic new features is you can set an environment variable named
DENYCOUNTRY with a comma separated list of 2 digit country codes
then tcpserver will deny connections from those countries.

Or you could set ALLOWCOUNTRY environment variable with a list of
country codes to allow connections and deny to any other.

If either DENYCOUNTRY or ALLOWCOUNTRY is set then tcpserver adds
the country code to the end of the deny or ok log lines to
help with reporting.

We are using it to block spam from countries that send us
lots of spam. It is blocking about 60% of spam.

We are also using it to lock down access to pop3 to only the countries
our users are in.

Depends on GeoIP and GeoIP development packages.

Please let me know if you have any comments, questions or suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken Jones
Inter7
Re: GeoIP support now available for tcpserver ucspi-tcp [ In reply to ]
Country lists and GeoIP lists are two entirely different things. Consider
the tld NL for the Netherlands. That could include IP addresses located in
the Caribbean, or elsewhere in the world apart from Holland.

--

"Well," Brahm? said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah?bh?rata
Re: GeoIP support now available for tcpserver ucspi-tcp [ In reply to ]
You are right!

But it is close enough for us.

RE: GeoIP support now available for tcpserver ucspi-tcp [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I have tested it and it works well.
The problem I think is that the implementation you have used for the geoip is obsolete (GeoIP and .dat database files)
https://support.maxmind.com/geolite-legacy-discontinuation-notice/

Regards

Carlos

Re: GeoIP support now available for tcpserver ucspi-tcp [ In reply to ]
Hi Carlos,

Good point!

First we wanted to release a version that works with currently available
package distributions. For example dovecot, clamav, rspamd, roundcube
and GeoIP packages.

Reason why is we are building a full qmail raspberrypi sd card release.

The idea being you could set up a raspberrypi qmail server by installing
an SD card with qmail already set up. Then all you would need to do is
change passwords and add domains and email accounts.

Back to your point..

We are now working on a new tcpserver version that uses the new
maxmind implementation with libmaxminddb and GeoLite2-Country.mmdb
Should be ready later this week or beginning of next week.

We put the new code into production this afternoon on our server.
Need to see if it has any problems before releasing.

Ken Jones
inter7