Mailing List Archive

Released: s/qmail 4.0
Hi together,

those here using qmail, may have a look at

- http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmail.html (s/qmail 4.0).

Over the last year, I've used my

- http://www.fehcom.de/ipnet/qlibs.html

development to create a completely 'refactored' version of s/qmail while keeping compatible with qmail 1.03.

s/qmail tries to include many ideas of DJB already given in his TODO statement.

Woh! Just downloading postfix. A comparison (of the tar.gz files):

- postfix-3.4.9 has a size 20.9 MByte
- postfix-3.1.1 has a size 4.4 MByte
- s/qmail 4.0 + fehQlibs + ucspi-ssl + ucspi-tcp6 together has a size of 0.5 MByte

Hm. What is missing in s/qmail?

- DANE (scheduled)
- DKIM (with plug-in to come)
- SQL support for user database

For the features included, please consult my s/qmail web site.

Where does s/qmail run?

- Every POSIX compliant system: Linux, *BSD, Illuminos, Raspbian ... (64 bit/32 bit).

What else?

- Complete IPv6 support; TLS 1.3 given by OpenSSL and LibreSSL.
- slashpackage installation conformance.
- Works with Linux systemd.

s/qmail will be maintained.

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id 7E4034BE
RE: Released: s/qmail 4.0 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Is it compatible with vpopmail ?

I'm currently using the historical Qmail patched with John Simpson combined
patches. I'm using vpopmail for the virtual domain mail hosting. I'm using
it especially because I'm able to use a MySQL database for the user
management

If it is, I'll update my (old) guide https://qmailrocks.thibs.com/ to
describe the installation with sqmail

Best Regards

Thibault

Re: Released: s/qmail 4.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Am 02.03.2020 um 13:23 schrieb Thibault Richard <thibs@thibs.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Is it compatible with vpopmail ?

Sure.

> I'm currently using the historical Qmail patched with John Simpson combined
> patches. I'm using vpopmail for the virtual domain mail hosting. I'm using
> it especially because I'm able to use a MySQL database for the user
> management

Well, I don't know all the details about your setup. But if you use the standard vchkpw of vpopmail there is actually nothing to do in particular.

Check:

http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/man/qmail-authuser.html

http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/man/qmail-vmailuser.html

But of course, a simple installation would tell ...

> If it is, I'll update my (old) guide https://qmailrocks.thibs.com/ to
> describe the installation with sqmail

Merci and best regards.
--eh.

Re: Released: s/qmail 4.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have sqmail 3.4 running with (a slightly patched version) of vpopmail
and dovecot running for about six month now. Its working without any
major issues, I plan to upgrade soon and dont expect any issues.

I put together a small HowTo (its german and needs adjusting a bit)
https://www.oliwel.de/vpopmail/

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
Re: Released: s/qmail 4.0 [ In reply to ]
On 1 Mar 2020, at 18:33, Erwin Hoffmann wrote:

> those here using qmail, may have a look at
>
> - http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmail.html (s/qmail 4.0).

Congratulations on the release!

Anyone reading this, if you're not sure whether this is excellent news
for qmail users, it is :-)

I hope notqmail will bring some more good news again soon, too.

- Amitai
RE: Released: s/qmail 4.0 [ In reply to ]
Hello Erwin,

I'm trying to test s/qmail 4.0 on Debian 10

I had apparently no compilation issue but I'm nevertheless facing an issue I don't succeed to solve.

The error message is

sslserver: error: (111) unable to load certificate

Regarding to this message, I’ve check /var/qmail/ssl but the certificates seems to be there

root@tarth:/var/qmail/ssl# ls -lah

total 84K

drwxr-xr-x 2 sqmtls nofiles 4,0K mar 25 15:53 .

drwxr-xr-x 9 root sqmail 4,0K mar 25 15:53 ..

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 887 mar 25 15:53 127.0.0.1.key

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 4,1K mar 25 15:53 127.0.0.1.pem

-rw-r----- 1 sqmtls nofiles 9 mar 25 15:53 127.0.0.1.pw

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 891 mar 25 15:53 ::1.key

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 4,1K mar 25 15:53 ::1.pem

-rw-r----- 1 sqmtls nofiles 9 mar 25 15:53 ::1.pw

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 3,0K mar 25 15:53 chain4.pem

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 3,0K mar 25 15:53 chain6.pem

-rw-r----- 1 sqmtls nofiles 245 mar 25 15:53 dh1024.pem

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 887 mar 25 15:53 localhost.key

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 4,1K mar 25 15:53 localhost.pem

-rw-r----- 1 sqmtls nofiles 9 mar 25 15:53 localhost.pw

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 7,0K mar 25 15:53 openssl.cnf

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 1,6K mar 25 15:53 rootCA.pem

-rw-r--r-- 1 sqmtls nofiles 516 mar 25 15:53 ssl.env

I suppose the problem is with ucspi-ssl-0.11.3 because I’ve this :

root@tarth:/package/ucspi-ssl-0.11.3# package/rts

13c13

< sslclient: drop: (110) unable to connect to: 127.0.0.1 port: 16

---

> sslclient: drop: (-99) unable to connect to: 127.0.0.1 port: 16

18c18

< sslclient: fatal: (111) no IP address for: nonexistent.local.

---

> sslclient: fatal: (111) temporarily unable to figure out IP address for: nonexistent.local.

21c21

< sslclient: fatal: (111) temporarily unable to figure out IP address for: thislabelistoolongbecausednshasalimitof63charactersinasinglelabel.

---

> sslclient: fatal: (111) no IP address for: thislabelistoolongbecausednshasalimitof63charactersinasinglelabel.

Do you have an idea how to solve this ?

If you want, I could provide you root SSH access on this machine I’ve made especially to test s/qmail 4.0 (my goal is mainly to understand what I’m doing wrong)

Best Regards

Thibault