Mailing List Archive

overcoming qmail-phobia
hello!

it's been some 20 years that I have been tolerating exim due to my
qmail-phobia :-(

I can't imagine where this phobia comes from because I feel very
confortable using other djb software like djbdns, daemontools, ucspi-tcp,
etc..

my needs are very simple:

A) aprox 10 servers will have to handle only locally-generated messages;

B) aprox 2 servers will have to handle both locally-generated and
smtp-received messages;
- messages to mydomain will be alowed;
- other messages will have the sender host checked against a CDB of ipv4
numbers;

in both cases:
- servers are ubuntu hosted inside AWS datacenters;
- messages will be delivered via google's smtp-relay.gmail.com;

my questions are as simple as my needs :-)

ubuntu have a qmail package (netqmail-1.06) available; I am assuming it is
more than enough for the simple tasks I have;
do you agree? or should I use one of the packages I see mentioned in this
mailing-list?

it seems null-mailer is the perfect solution for task B; but since I will
have to learn qmail, perhaps I should stick to a qmail-only solution and
disable the smtp-listening module;

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\ otavio@exel.com.br <oexel@economatica.com.br>
Re: overcoming qmail-phobia [ In reply to ]
On Oct 17, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Otavio Exel <otavio@exel.com.br> wrote:

> ubuntu have a qmail package (netqmail-1.06) available; I am assuming it is more than enough for the simple tasks I have;
> do you agree? or should I use one of the packages I see mentioned in this mailing-list?
>
> it seems null-mailer is the perfect solution for task B; but since I will have to learn qmail, perhaps I should stick to a qmail-only solution and disable the smtp-listening module;

Agree, not worth using nullmailer for one use case when it doesn’t support the other. I’d use notqmail for both use cases, with qmail-smtpd running only where needed. notqmail is intended as the open-source successor to netqmail, is being actively developed, and is available for Ubuntu as a binary package.

More about notqmail: https://notqmail.org

More about the latest release and how to install on Ubuntu: https://notqmail.org/1.07

Any questions, just ask. Good luck :-)