Mailing List Archive

Dovecot LDA/Sieve with Qmail / problems with remote forward
Hi All,

I have upgrade my mailserver to use "dovecot lda" together with "sieve"
to send copies for mailboxes.

That works fine for local recpt but fails for remote addresses, in the
dovecot lda log I get

> program `/var/qmail/bin/sendmail'(7775) execution timed out after
30000 milliseconds: sending TERM signal

I found a bug report for Plesk with a similar issue, as far as I
understand this the reason is that the wrapper can not change its UID/GID
https://talk.plesk.com/threads/qmail-dovecot-failure-with-qmail-sendmail-wrapper.349521/

The reason I am asking here is that I suspect it is a qmail related
problem - I am using sqmail from fehcom....

I have no idea how to move on - any ideas or hints are welcome

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
Re: Dovecot LDA/Sieve with Qmail / problems with remote forward [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 03:37:46PM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:
> The reason I am asking here is that I suspect it is a qmail related
> problem - I am using sqmail from fehcom....
>
> I have no idea how to move on - any ideas or hints are welcome

Given that the error message you report isn't much to go on, are
you able to try stracing (or your local equivalent) your sendmail
binary? You can arrange to write the trace data to a file, try
remote delivery, and see what codepath it's taking or what is
failing. You'll want to trace any child processes as well.

One way you could accomplish this is to temporarily rename your
sendmail binary and replace it with a script that calls strace
before invoking the moved, real program.

-A
--
Alan Post | Xen VPS hosting for the technically adept
PO Box 61688 | Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1681 | https://prgmr.com/
Re: Dovecot LDA/Sieve with Qmail / problems with remote forward [ In reply to ]
Hi Alan,

Am 06.09.19 um 01:39 schrieb Alan Post:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2019 at 03:37:46PM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:
>> The reason I am asking here is that I suspect it is a qmail related
>> problem - I am using sqmail from fehcom....
>>
>> I have no idea how to move on - any ideas or hints are welcome
>
> Given that the error message you report isn't much to go on, are
> you able to try stracing (or your local equivalent) your sendmail
> binary? You can arrange to write the trace data to a file, try
> remote delivery, and see what codepath it's taking or what is
> failing. You'll want to trace any child processes as well.
>
> One way you could accomplish this is to temporarily rename your
> sendmail binary and replace it with a script that calls strace
> before invoking the moved, real program.

I already did so - the sendmail delivers the message and terminates in
less than a second, the problem is that sieve/lda *thinks* that it is
still waiting for sendmail while it is not....all tests done on the
shell also work.

I finally stumbled over the option to let LDA use SMTP instead of
sendmail which I did now, so the mails are currently resend via SMTP on
localhost, uses some extra ressources but works for the moment. Anyway
understanding why this is not working would be great...

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!