Mailing List Archive

notqmail-1.07 released
I'm pleased to announce notqmail-1.07, the first release of
notqmail: https://notqmail.org/1.07

notqmail is a community-driven fork of qmail, beginning where
netqmail left off: providing stable, compatible, small releases
to which existing qmail users can safely update. notqmail also
aims higher: developing an extensible, easily packaged, and
increasingly useful modern mail server.

This release focuses on binary packing and portability:

- qmail system accounts are no longer required at build-time,
as they are determined at process startup.

- The install has been split in to separate packing and file
ownership steps, with the packaging step supporting DESTDIR
for non-root builds.

- utmpx support on FreeBSD, case-insensitive filesystem support,
vfork-related exec failures, and compile- and link-time
fixes for Mac OS X.

- Finally, we have applied correctness fixes for missing function
arguments, header files, and make dependencies.

The full release notes are at https://notqmail.org/1.07

-A
--
Alan Post | Xen VPS hosting for the technically adept
PO Box 61688 | Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1681 | https://prgmr.com/
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
On Aug 20, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Alan Post <adp@prgmr.com> wrote:

> notqmail is a community-driven fork of qmail, beginning where
> netqmail left off: providing stable, compatible, small releases
> to which existing qmail users can safely update. notqmail also
> aims higher: developing an extensible, easily packaged, and
> increasingly useful modern mail server.

It's been a pleasure to collaborate with Alan and a few others on this
initial release of notqmail (https://notqmail.org), which we've designed
as a safe and easy update from netqmail 1.06.

We hope you'll update your installations to notqmail, let us know how
well (or perhaps poorly, but probably not) it goes, get familiar with
our roadmap, and contribute as much or as little as you'd like to how
notqmail gets developed.

Here's my personal take on what we're up to:
https://schmonz.com/2019/08/20/announcing-notqmail/ Happy for feedback
on this too.

As far as we can tell, this list is an excellent place to discuss
notqmail. Please discuss freely :-)

- Amitai
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
On 20190820, Alan Post wrote:
>I'm pleased to announce notqmail-1.07, the first release of
>notqmail: https://notqmail.org/1.07

I am cautiously optimistic.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & wood chipper / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 06:29:37PM -0400, Amitai Schleier wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Alan Post <adp@prgmr.com> wrote:
>
> >notqmail is a community-driven fork of qmail, beginning where
> >netqmail left off: providing stable, compatible, small releases
> >to which existing qmail users can safely update. notqmail also
> >aims higher: developing an extensible, easily packaged, and
> >increasingly useful modern mail server.
>
> It's been a pleasure to collaborate with Alan and a few others on
> this initial release of notqmail (https://notqmail.org), which we've
> designed as a safe and easy update from netqmail 1.06.

Hello everyone. I've never written the qmail list before yesterday,
though I know of many of you: My own fork of qmail contains the
following patches, and I know some of you here are also list subscribers:

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard's any-to-cname
Tom Clegg's badmailfrom wildcard
Christopher K. Davis's oversize DNS packet
Johannes Erdfelt's big-concurrency
John Simpson's DKIM
Erwin Hoffmann's smptauth
Erwin Hoffmann's recipients extension
Jeremy Kitchen's badmailfrom-x-relayclient
Russell Nelson's big-todo
Andr? Opperman's ext_todo or "silly qmail syndrome"
Andrew Richards' qmail-logmsg
John Saunders' qmail-smtpd-newline
Jana Saout's qmail-spf
Frederik Vermeulen's qmail-smtp-tls

Most but not all of these patches I've created branches for in notqmail:

https://github.com/notqmail/notqmail/wiki/Patches

Not all of them are intended to be merged to notqmail master, but
each of them has helped me work through a problem in my mail
system, and I find it quite a lot easier to work with them as a
set or collection via git.

I'm happy to maintain additional patch branches if you have material
you use that isn't on my own list.

Thank you Felix for your kind words, and thank you everyone for your
work on and help with qmail over the years.

-A
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
On 8/21/2019 10:18 AM, Alan Post wrote:
> I'm happy to maintain additional patch branches if you have material
> you use that isn't on my own list.

I think this is the primary road-block to a popular qmail package.
Everyone with a qmail installation today likely has a very custom setup.

My installations have
https://jeremy.kister.net/code/qmail-1.03.isp.patch which is a
collection of patches that are unmergable in themselves to vanilla qmail
source.

this patch requires a vpopmail installation before qmail can compile,
which means a qmail must already be available (because it's a vpopmail
dependency).

even my ucspi-tcp has a patch of patches.

Im not sure how there could be a package that everyone could use, unless
something like installation packages were named with the patch name that
had a dependency on the base package. but i dont even think that would
take off because it'd be confusing for new users.

i love the name notqmail. :)

--

Jeremy Kister
https://jeremy.kister.net./
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
On Aug 21, 2019, at 12:35 PM, Jeremy Kister <qmail-09@jeremykister.com> wrote:

>> On 8/21/2019 10:18 AM, Alan Post wrote:
>> I'm happy to maintain additional patch branches if you have material
>> you use that isn't on my own list.
>
> I think this is the primary road-block to a popular qmail package. Everyone with a qmail installation today likely has a very custom setup.

The long game here is, how do we eventually make everyone’s patches unnecessary? My intuition is that we can do this mostly by gently expanding qmail’s architecture to provide a few more extension points, such that everyone’s problems can be solved by Unix programs that can be composed into the runtime configuration by a sysadmin.

The short-to-medium game here is, how do we produce updates that are simultaneously easy enough and valuable enough for qmail users to track, carrying their custom patches with them? We’ve intended for notqmail 1.07 to be such an update, but we won’t know till we hear from folks who are trying it. So we hope folks will do that.

> i love the name notqmail. :)

Thanks :-)
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeremy, Amitai, All,

Am 21.08.19 um 18:35 schrieb Jeremy Kister:
> On 8/21/2019 10:18 AM, Alan Post wrote:
>> I'm happy to maintain additional patch branches if you have material
>> you use that isn't on my own list.
>
> I think this is the primary road-block to a popular qmail package.
> Everyone with a qmail installation today likely has a very custom setup.
>
> My installations have
> https://jeremy.kister.net/code/qmail-1.03.isp.patch which is a
> collection of patches that are unmergable in themselves to vanilla qmail
> source.
>
> this patch requires a vpopmail installation before qmail can compile,
> which means a qmail must already be available (because it's a vpopmail
> dependency).
>
> even my ucspi-tcp has a patch of patches.
>
> Im not sure how there could be a package that everyone could use, unless
> something like installation packages were named with the patch name that
> had a dependency on the base package.  but i dont even think that would
> take off because it'd be confusing for new users.

I was a bit surprised after all the negotations on a/e/sqmail on the
list but hey, its a good one (I hope).

From a point of view of a 15y qmail user: What I am still missing most
is a USEABLE way to have virtual users in a database. I would be happy
to have some wrappers for that but I did not find any useful
documentation on how to write and integrate those.

I am also a big fan of "qmail-spp" which is easy to use for any
"shell-monkey", perhaps this approach is suitable for the delivery side
as well.

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
Re: notqmail-1.07 released [ In reply to ]
> The full release notes are at https://notqmail.org/1.07

Sorry man, i did fail to search INSTALL manual.
Currently i am on Ubuntu 18.04.

Sincerely,

--