error message that qmail now is unable to change to the Maildirs that are
several levels below /home/vpopmail. All file permissions appear
unchanged. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks kindly.
Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
On 2019-08-06 20:02-0400, hobie of RMN wrote:
> Since a very recent upgrade by Debian that moved release 'buster' to
> 'stable', incoming mail can't be delivered, generates the error
> message that qmail now is unable to change to the Maildirs that are
> several levels below /home/vpopmail. All file permissions appear
> unchanged. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks kindly.

Can you strace the qmail-send and watch what it is doing up to the
error? It might give some clues. What is the exact error from the
delivery log?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/
Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
> On 2019-08-06 20:02-0400, hobie of RMN wrote:
>> Since a very recent upgrade by Debian that moved release 'buster' to
>> 'stable', incoming mail can't be delivered, generates the error
>> message that qmail now is unable to change to the Maildirs that are
>> several levels below /home/vpopmail. All file permissions appear
>> unchanged. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks kindly.
>
> Can you strace the qmail-send and watch what it is doing up to the
> error? It might give some clues. What is the exact error from the
> delivery log?

Thanks. :) Log entry:

delivery 94: deferral: Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/

strace is installed but I've never used it. Is it possible to strace an
already-running process? I'd need directions on how to do it.

--hobie
Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
Am 07.08.19 um 02:02 schrieb hobie of RMN:
> Looks like the ORNL qmail list archive no longer exists. If there's
> another list archive that might have this question already answered,
> please let me know where that might be.

Hi!

I don't use Debian but this could be related to the AppArmor security framework.

Best regards,
--
Johannes Weberhofer
Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna
Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
Hi,

first, validate that the qmail users in /etc/password are sill ok and are migrated ok.

Second, I could suggest to install 'htop' to see the delivery chain of qmail-send.
You should see something like that:

root 3055 3047 0 Jul08 ? 00:00:00 supervise qmail-send
qmaill 3085 3056 0 Jul08 ? 00:00:00 multilog t s16777215 /var/log/qmail-send
qmails 11722 3055 0 Aug02 ? 00:00:00 qmail-send
root 11737 11722 0 Aug02 ? 00:00:00 qmail-lspawn ./Maildir/

In order to run qmail-lspawn, qmail needs root privileges.

Third, now you can strace this pid

sudo strace -f - <pid> -o <file>

You should catch the output to a file.

As Johannes said: Permission problem due to changed security mechanisms.

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id 7E4034BE
Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
Hi -

I did it to myself. :) Thanks kindly to Ed, Erwin, Johannes and anyone
else I may have failed to mention. Apparently I had changed something in
locals, rcpthosts, or virtualdomains that must have looked right to me
when I did it but wasn't, and it was causing the problem. I don't quite
understand why "unable to chdir to Maildir" was the particular error
message that was triggered by that, but: All better now. :) I'm grateful
for the thoughts on AppArmor and the mini-tutorial on htop and strace.

Blessings, all.

--hobie

Re: qmail unable to chdir to Maildir after Debian upgrade to 'buster' [ In reply to ]
Thus said "hobie of RMN" on Tue, 06 Aug 2019 20:02:14 -0400:

> Looks like the ORNL qmail list archive no longer exists. If there's
> another list archive that might have this question already answered,
> please let me know where that might be.

I tend to prefer marc.info:

https://marc.info/?l=qmail

Andy