my ISP.

TIA

Frank
Re: Minimum packages needed for simple MTA [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 1, 2019, at 5:08 AM, Frank Watt wrote:
> I've used sendmail for years to send mail from a single computer to my
> ISP with mutt my mail client. But it recently stopped working and I've
> given up trying to get my head around sendmail's obscure methods.
>
> Mutt still works receiving mail with fetchmail and procmail, but I can't
> send mail, so I've had to use Thunderbird for this one.

Mutt has a built-in SMTP client nowadays, so if your Mutt has been compiled with it, switching to using that would be similar to how you're using Thunderbird. Then you wouldn't need anything else for sending.

If you do want something else, there's msmtp:

https://marlam.de/msmtp/

Lewis
Re: Minimum packages needed for simple MTA [ In reply to ]
Frank Watt <youngoldbloke@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to know is whether there is a tutorial anywhere that would
> tell me which Linux Mint .debs I'd need to get mail from my computer to my
> ISP.

In addition to msmtp, there's also the very simple ssmtp, and Bruce Guenter's
nullmailer package. The latter has the benefit of a queue so it works even
when your connection to your ISP's mail server is flaky or intermittent.
ssmtp is probably available prepackaged for Mint; I'm not sure about
nullmailer.

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/