Mailing List Archive

Creating new users with an old name: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/
People,

I had to do a lot of housecleaning on my server and now when trying to
create a new user with a name that has existed previously and then
mailing that user locally I get this:

@400000005c8a03630d6c68b4 delivery 13: deferral:
Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/
@400000005c8a03630d6c7084 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

If I create a new user with a name that has never existed before, then
the user receives mail as normal - there are no difference in
permissions etc on the Maildirs for each type of new user.

I have made sure there are no issues with these files by cleaning out
old stuff before creating the new user:

/var/spool/mail/reused_old_user_name
/home/reused_old_user_name
/etc/subgid
/etc/subuid
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/gshadow

- what else could be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: Creating new users with an old name: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/ [ In reply to ]

--
Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
GPG Pub Key
Re: Creating new users with an old name: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/ [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 06:41:26pm +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I had to do a lot of housecleaning on my server and now when trying to
> create a new user with a name that has existed previously and then mailing
> that user locally I get this:
>
> @400000005c8a03630d6c68b4 delivery 13: deferral:
> Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/
> @400000005c8a03630d6c7084 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
>
> I have made sure there are no issues with these files by cleaning out old
> stuff before creating the new user:

Do you have any double entries in passwd/shadow? Are the two in sync?

# grep phr /etc/*

and

# ls -al /home/phr /home/phr/Maildir

Are the perms correct here?

Does the account work? What happens if you 'sudo su - phr'?

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/
Re: Creating new users with an old name: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/ [ In reply to ]
Thus said Philip Rhoades on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 18:41:26 +1100:

> @400000005c8a03630d6c68b4 delivery 13: deferral:
> Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/
> @400000005c8a03630d6c7084 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

What are the permissions and ownership on /home/phr?

Are you using qmail-users(5)?

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005c8b0643
Re: Creating new users with an old name: deferral: Unable_to_switch_to_/home/phr:_access_denied._(#4.3.0)/ [ In reply to ]
Abdullah,

On 2019-03-14 23:31, Abdullah Ülker wrote:
> ~# id user
>
> compare file with
> cat /var/qmai/users/assign

That's it! All the stuff in users is old - I renamed that dir and
created a new empty one and mails started getting delivered!

Many thanks!

Regards,

Phil.

--