informações. Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor avise
imediatamente ao remetente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apague-o.
Agradecemos sua cooperação.*
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Hi,

you could setup a second mail server that handles mails to this domain and redirect all mails via smtproutes to it.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Hi Rejaine,

> Am 08.02.2019 um 16:12 schrieb Rejaine Silveira Monteiro <rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br>:
>
> Is there any way to temporarily block or ignore all mails sending
> (qmail-send) to a particular MX (ISP)? There is an internet provider
> in Brazil that is widely used by thousands of customers (locaweb).
> This ISP is off the air and hundreds of messages from multiple clients
> are standing in line. The problem is that this is generating a huge
> delay in delivering to other customers of other ISPs.

As already pointed out:

1. Setup a second qmail instance.

2. Reroute these particular emails (identified by their forwarding path domain name) to this instance.

Lets say: example.com:127.0.0.2

qmail-smtpd has to run here (listening on IP 127.0.0.2) ; but not qmail-send.

Your original queue will be emptied and happily forward the other mails waiting.

Once the provider responsible for those mails is up again, start qmail-send on your 2nd instance.

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id 7E4034BE
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
there are thousands of domains that use this ISP and there is no way to
know all domains. I thought about putting the mx ips of that isp in the
badrcptto, but it does not seem to be working ... the messages continue to
fall in line and stay there, delaying the other deliveries, because they
are many!

Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> Am 08.02.2019 um 16:44 schrieb Rejaine Silveira Monteiro <rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br>:
>

> there are thousands of domains that use this ISP and there is no way to know all domains. I thought about putting the mx ips of that isp in the badrcptto, but it does not seem to be working ... the messages continue to fall in line and stay there, delaying the other deliveries, because they are many!

In case your mail server is running on Linux, I would consider to use iptables to re-write the outgoing IP address to the IP address of the qmail instance Robert and me were talking about.

The very same idea can actually used on other Unix systems as well (using a host route).

Hope that helps.
--eh.

Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 20:49, Rejaine Silveira Monteiro
<rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br> wrote:

> Is there any way to temporarily block or ignore all mails sending
> (qmail-send) to a particular MX (ISP)? There is an internet provider
> in Brazil that is widely used by thousands of customers (locaweb).
> This ISP is off the air and hundreds of messages from multiple clients
> are standing in line. The problem is that this is generating a huge
> delay in delivering to other customers of other ISPs.

You can do something like this temporarily (But test this out on a test system).

1. shutdown down qmail

2. mv /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote.org

3. Put the compiled dnsmxip in the qmail-1.03 source directory in /var/qmail/bin

4. Write the following script as qmail-remote in /var/qmail/bin. Asume
w.x.y.z is the IP of the ISP
#!/bin/sh
domain=$1
/var/qmail/bin/dnsmxip $1 |awk '{print $2}'| while read line
do
if [ " $line" = " w.x.y.z" ] ; then
exec cat > /dev/null
fi
done
exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote.org $*

5. chmod +x /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote
6. Restart qmail
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
well .. the idea of putting the domains in smtproutes like
(somedomain.com.br:127.0.0.2) seems to be working. the only problem is
that I have to discover wich domains in the queue are using this Isp
and then refresh smtproutes manually

Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
thank you! the script is working fine!! is only giving problems in
bounce mail, like:

@400000005c5da7a03aff7a3c info msg 31371954: bytes 39440 from <> qp
21332 uid 365
@400000005c5dae4821b48c34 starting delivery 18429: msg 31371954 to
remote user@domain.com
@400000005c5dae4828f918fc delivery 18429: failure:
I_(qmail-remote)_was_invoked_improperly._(#5.3.5)/

is not a big problem, but do you have any idea what it might be?

Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 at 22:10, Rejaine Silveira Monteiro
<rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br> wrote:

> thank you! the script is working fine!! is only giving problems in
> bounce mail, like:
>
> @400000005c5da7a03aff7a3c info msg 31371954: bytes 39440 from <> qp
> 21332 uid 365
> @400000005c5dae4821b48c34 starting delivery 18429: msg 31371954 to
> remote user@domain.com
> @400000005c5dae4828f918fc delivery 18429: failure:
> I_(qmail-remote)_was_invoked_improperly._(#5.3.5)/
>
> is not a big problem, but do you have any idea what it might be?

Sorry about that. qmail-remoe has to issue a report which is missing.
Here is the modified script
#!/bin/sh
domain=$1
/var/qmail/bin/dnsmxip $1 |awk '{print $2}'| while read line
do
if [ " $line" = " w.x.y.z" ] ; then
cat > /dev/null
printf "r\0Khost accepted message.\nMessage queued\n\0"
exit 0
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
I am top posting. Sorry for that. The earlier script will simply throw
the email into a blackhole.
If you want the script to bounce it.
#!/bin/sh
domain=$1
/var/qmail/bin/dnsmxip $1 |awk '{print $2}'| while read line
do
if [ " $line" = " w.x.y.z" ] ; then
cat > /dev/null
printf "h\0DThis ISP is blocked.\nMessage discarded\n\0"

Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
GPG Pub Key
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC7CBC760014D250C
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Rejaine Silveira Monteiro <rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br> wrote:
> This ISP is off the air and hundreds of messages from multiple clients
> are standing in line. The problem is that this is generating a huge
> delay in delivering to other customers of other ISPs.

Others have made suggestions on how to cause these messages to be delivered to
another machine or bounced, however...

qmail is pretty good about handling cases like this. Normally, each message
will be tried on the usual delivery schedule, which uses a scaling
(geometric?) backoff algorithm, so messages that have been sitting in the
queue waiting for this ISP to come back shouldn't actually interfere with
delivery of newer messages to responsive hosts.

Are you certain you actually have a problem, or are you just worrying when you
needn't?

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/
Read http://pyropus.ca/personal/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 6:13 AM Charles Cazabon
<search-web-for-address@pyropus.ca> wrote:

> Rejaine Silveira Monteiro <rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br> wrote:
> > This ISP is off the air and hundreds of messages from multiple clients
> > are standing in line. The problem is that this is generating a huge
> > delay in delivering to other customers of other ISPs.
>
> Others have made suggestions on how to cause these messages to be delivered to
> another machine or bounced, however...
>
> qmail is pretty good about handling cases like this. Normally, each message
> will be tried on the usual delivery schedule, which uses a scaling
> (geometric?) backoff algorithm, so messages that have been sitting in the
> queue waiting for this ISP to come back shouldn't actually interfere with
> delivery of newer messages to responsive hosts.
>
> Are you certain you actually have a problem, or are you just worrying when you
> needn't?

This can actually become a very serious problem. Qmail has concurrency
limits, which you may need to adjust as appropriate. Basically, if a
large percentage of your queue is undeliverable mail - specifically
the kind that qmail has to wait for a timeout - a lot of mail time is
wasted by qmail waiting for those connections to time out, whereas
valid mails are waiting in an ever-growing queue. It gets compounded
as both the mailserver and user retry sending mails. I've once gotten
to a situation where 90+% of the queue was dead mail due to some
time was to hunt down mails in the queue and take them out, but also
to increase the default concurrency to a stupid amount to mitigate
this in the future.
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Thus said Rejaine Silveira Monteiro on Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:12:26 -0200:

> Is there any way to temporarily block or ignore all mails sending
> (qmail-send) to a particular MX (ISP)?

Rather than ignore them, why not deliver them to a Maildir and use
serialmail to attempt delivery to them periodically?

https://cr.yp.to/serialmail.html

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005c5efaf6
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Thus said Manvendra Bhangui on Fri, 08 Feb 2019 21:28:58 +0530:

> 4. Write the following script as qmail-remote in /var/qmail/bin. Asume
> w.x.y.z is the IP of the ISP
> #!/bin/sh
> domain=$1
> /var/qmail/bin/dnsmxip $1 |awk '{print $2}'| while read line
> do
> if [ " $line" = " w.x.y.z" ] ; then
> exec cat > /dev/null
> fi
> done
> exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote.org $*

Nice idea, however, unless this outage is expected to be permanent, it
discards potentially legitimate email.

Instead, maybe the message should be queued elsewhere and then just put
on a deferred schedule for deliveries.

Might be better to setup a second instance of qmail and instead:

exec /var/qmail-delayed/bin/qmail-remote "$@"
fi
done
exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote "$@"

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005c5efc91
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Thus said "Andy Bradford" on 09 Feb 2019 09:14:36 -0700:

> Might be better to setup a second instance of qmail and instead:

Sorry I misunderstood that this was a replacement for qmail-remote,
qmail-remote should not be used from the new instance, a new queueing of
the message would be required so an altered qmail-queue is in order, but
you get the idea.

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005c5efed3
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 at 21:56, Andy Bradford
<amb-sendok-1552321455.poeghpojlkojchonflml@bradfords.org> wrote:

> Thus said "Andy Bradford" on 09 Feb 2019 09:14:36 -0700:
>
> > Might be better to setup a second instance of qmail and instead:
>
> Sorry I misunderstood that this was a replacement for qmail-remote,
> qmail-remote should not be used from the new instance, a new queueing of
> the message would be required so an altered qmail-queue is in order, but
> you get the idea.

Yes. Understood. In fact this could have been done better before
queuing rather than so late during the delivery stage. Can be achieved
by writing a qmail-queue wrapper and push those emails to a Maildir or
another instance. One can also use qmail-qfilter (using the QMAILRCPTS
environment variable).
Re: MX/ISP BLOCK [ In reply to ]
Please send unsubscribe address.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Andy Bradford <
amb-sendok-1552321455.poeghpojlkojchonflml@bradfords.org> wrote:

> Thus said "Andy Bradford" on 09 Feb 2019 09:14:36 -0700:
>
> > Might be better to setup a second instance of qmail and instead:
>
> Sorry I misunderstood that this was a replacement for qmail-remote,
> qmail-remote should not be used from the new instance, a new queueing of
> the message would be required so an altered qmail-queue is in order, but
> you get the idea.
>
> Andy
> --
> TAI64 timestamp: 400000005c5efed3