Mailing List Archive

please test: updated pkgsrc qmail packages
As folks who know and use qmail, I could really use your feedback.

I maintain qmail and qmail-run packages in pkgsrc, a cross-platform Unix
package manager. We ship quarterly releases and will soon be shipping
2018Q4. I want to make sure the many improvements I've made since Q3 --
most notably acceptutils -- work well on a variety of platforms and
behave in ways that make sense to qmail users.

I've done some testing myself, and can vouch for CentOS 6 and 7, Debian
9, Mac OS X 10.14.2, FreeBSD 12, OpenBSD 6.4, Tribblix m20.5, and of
course my NetBSD 8 mail server where I run these packages in production.

I've also had usability testing from a friend who uses NetBSD, pkgsrc,
and qmail.

Even if you _don't_ use pkgsrc (guessing few of you do), if you'd be
willing to use it temporarily, please

1. Bootstrap pkgsrc-current
2. Try installing mail/qmail-run and pkgtools/rc.d-boot
3. Reply off-list with your findings:

- Your OS, version, and architecture?
- Did packaging or installation break anywhere along the way? (Logs
appreciated)
- Did you have to learn anything to get qmail running? (Details
appreciated)
- Does it seem to work?
- Would you maybe actually consider using it? (I'd love to know why or
why not)

Here's what I know so far: https://schmonz.com/qmail/pkgsrc-qmail-run/

Thanks,

- Amitai
Re: please test: updated pkgsrc qmail packages [ In reply to ]
On 18 Dec 2018, at 18:57, Amitai Schleier wrote:

> I've done some testing myself, and can vouch for CentOS 6 and 7,
> Debian 9, Mac OS X 10.14.2, FreeBSD 12, OpenBSD 6.4, Tribblix m20.5,
> and of course my NetBSD 8 mail server where I run these packages in
> production.

When I wrote the above, my packaging could not automatically start qmail
on boot on CentOS 6, pre-systemd Debian, and OpenBSD. It can now.
Current status is here: https://schmonz.com/qmail/pkgsrc-qmail-run/

I'm still quite interested to hear from folks willing to do the
following:

1. Bootstrap pkgsrc-current (https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/bootstrap/ says
how)
2. Try installing mail/qmail-run and pkgtools/rc.d-boot, and reboot
3. Reply off-list with your findings:

- Your OS, version, and architecture?
- Did packaging or installation break anywhere along the way? (Logs
appreciated)
- Did you have to learn anything to get qmail running? (Details
appreciated)
- Does it seem to work?
- Would you maybe actually consider using it? (I'd love to know why or
why not)

Best,

- Amitai