--
*Esta mensagem pode conter informações confidenciais ou privilegiadas,
sendo seu sigilo protegido por lei. Se você não for o destinatário ou a
pessoa autorizada a receber esta mensagem, não pode usar, copiar ou
divulgar as informações nela contidas ou tomar qualquer ação baseada nessas
informações. Se você recebeu esta mensagem por engano, por favor avise
imediatamente ao remetente, respondendo o e-mail e em seguida apague-o.
Agradecemos sua cooperação.*
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
Hi Rejaine,

> Am 28.08.2018 um 15:43 schrieb Rejaine Silveira Monteiro <rejaine@bhz.jamef.com.br>:
>
> Hello people,
>
> I have a Qmail server with a alias called .qmail-test (example) and I
> am trying to forward messages sent to this alias to a Gmail account,
> but it is being rejected by Google with the error: invalid From
> header.

actually, Qmail (as MTA) does not touch the email header; except for including a Received: header.
Thus, this is a problem of the sending client.

Since you >>forward<< this message while receiving it, you can check and perhaps manipulate the header in the .qmail file.
Have a look at the mess822 from DJB.

> Emails sent by mail clients (Outlook, Thunderbird etc) are OK, but
> some applications that send automatic emails using java, phpmail, etc
> are being rejected with the above error (some do not have access to
> the code because they are third-party applications) Qmail to another
> Qmail are OK too.
>
> Any idea how to solve this?
>
> I have not tested with another SMTP tool other than Qmail (ie:
> Postifx), but I would like to keep Qmail ...

This does not look like a Qmail problem, thus other MTAs probably would suffer from the same fate.

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id 7E4034BE
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
Hi Erwin,Hello, thank you for the quick reply.

I made a few more tests here and the problem only occurs when I
forward the email to a google group ... When I send to an individual
account in Gmail, the message arrives normally. This group in aceept
public posts, so it is not permission problem ... I already contacted
their support to try to verify...

Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
On 8/28/18 11:18 AM, Rejaine Silveira Monteiro wrote:
> Hi Erwin,Hello, thank you for the quick reply.
>
> I made a few more tests here and the problem only occurs when I
> forward the email to a google group ... When I send to an individual
> account in Gmail, the message arrives normally. This group in aceept
> public posts, so it is not permission problem ... I already contacted
> their support to try to verify...

What you encounter when forwarding email from one domain to another can
vary widely depending on the rules of the receiver. What is acceptable
at one ESP can be very different from another ESP.

Google's spam filtering is sophisticated and complex. Their rules for
determining what is acceptable for receiving mail to individual accounts
are probably different from the rules for Google Groups.

> Em ter, 28 de ago de 2018 às 11:18, Erwin Hoffmann <feh@fehcom.de> escreveu:

>> This does not look like a Qmail problem, thus other MTAs probably would suffer from the same fate.

If you feel like getting involved with SRS, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc. you
might have better results.

-
John J.
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
On 28/08/18 14:43, Rejaine Silveira Monteiro wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I have a Qmail server with a alias called .qmail-test (example) and I
> am trying to forward messages sent to this alias to a Gmail account,
> but it is being rejected by Google with the error: invalid From
> header.
>
> Emails sent by mail clients (Outlook, Thunderbird etc) are OK, but
> some applications that send automatic emails using java, phpmail, etc
> are being rejected with the above error (some do not have access to
> the code because they are third-party applications) Qmail to another
> Qmail are OK too.
>
> Any idea how to solve this?
>
> I have not tested with another SMTP tool other than Qmail (ie:
> Postifx), but I would like to keep Qmail ...

My guess is that Google is checking that the domain of the From email
address

a) resolves to an IP
b) has MX record(s) that resolve to the IP of the server that delivered
the email to Google.

You could try setting /etc/mailname to such a domain or ensure the
domain (which might be the server domain name) resolves correctly.

You should also check if the errant mail clients (java, phpmail, etc)
either use /etc/mailname or have config to let you set the From address.
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
Isn’t qmail dead

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:40 PM Bob Hutchinson lists <
hutchlists@arwystli.net> wrote:

> On 28/08/18 14:43, Rejaine Silveira Monteiro wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > I have a Qmail server with a alias called .qmail-test (example) and I
> > am trying to forward messages sent to this alias to a Gmail account,
> > but it is being rejected by Google with the error: invalid From
> > header.
> >
> > Emails sent by mail clients (Outlook, Thunderbird etc) are OK, but
> > some applications that send automatic emails using java, phpmail, etc
> > are being rejected with the above error (some do not have access to
> > the code because they are third-party applications) Qmail to another
> > Qmail are OK too.
> >
> > Any idea how to solve this?
> >
> > I have not tested with another SMTP tool other than Qmail (ie:
> > Postifx), but I would like to keep Qmail ...
> >
> My guess is that Google is checking that the domain of the From email
> address
>
> a) resolves to an IP
> b) has MX record(s) that resolve to the IP of the server that delivered
> the email to Google.
>
> You could try setting /etc/mailname to such a domain or ensure the
> domain (which might be the server domain name) resolves correctly.
>
> You should also check if the errant mail clients (java, phpmail, etc)
> either use /etc/mailname or have config to let you set the From address.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 08:29:32pm -0400, Michael DiMartino wrote:
> Isn’t qmail dead

Depends what you mean Michael.

There are less people posting to the qmail maillist, but that could be
due to efforts on various other forks. In part this could be due to
qmail's public domain status now, so linux distributions are able to
package it, as a result more things would work out of the box so fewer
people post questions.

Things might heat up again when there's another round of SSL changes.

I'm quite happy that things are mostly quiet, if it ain't broke, don't
fix it.

--
Best regards,
Ed http://www.s5h.net/
Re: Qmail to Gmail ( invalid From header) [ In reply to ]
Hi Ed,

> Am 29.08.2018 um 09:19 schrieb Ed <ed-qmail@s5h.net>:
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 08:29:32pm -0400, Michael DiMartino wrote:
>> Isn’t qmail dead
>
> Depends what you mean Michael.
>

> Things might heat up again when there's another round of SSL changes.

I'm currently in the process to integrate ucspi-ssl with OpenSSL 1.1.1 providing TLS capabilities.

Once finished, I will publish a set of enhanced packets:

- ucspi-tcp6 [done]
- ucspi-ssl (now with TLS 1.3 support) [integration pending]
- djbdnscurve6 (based on NACL using Salsa for DNS packet encryption and dnscache) [done]

These packages conform to slashpackage conventions and are based on fehQlibs.

Due date is September (yes, THIS September).

For my s/qmail -- let's see.

Side note: The development DJB did for NACL are now official part of TLS 1.3 (RFC 8446): The stream cipher ChaCha (based on Salsa; actually: Snuffle) and Poly1305 for hashes.

Best regards.
--eh.