Mailing List Archive

s/qmail-3.3.10. Problems delivering locally from queue.
Hello, qmail!

I'm trying to set up s/qmail-3.3.10 on my new Gentoo GNU/Linux desktop
box, after having used netqmail for around 10 years on my previous
machines. It's difficult!

I'm at the stage where I'm attempting to send local mail from a normal
user to itself and root using mutt. What's happening is these test
emails are accumulating in the queue rather than being delivered.

It seems the problem is that at the time of sending, qmail-send is not
running. There is a file /service/qmail-send/down, whose existence
signals to daemontools that the service is not to be started until
specifically requested. If I do

$ svc -u /service/qmail-send

to bring qmail-send (and several other daemons) up, and then send
another local mail from mutt, all the items in the queue have been
delivered.

My question is, is this situation (where qmail-send is not started at
boot up) intended? If so, how is qmail-send normally triggered? Would
deleting /service/qmail-send/down be a trouble-free solution to my
problem?

Thanks for the help!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: s/qmail-3.3.10. Problems delivering locally from queue. [ In reply to ]
Thus said Alan Mackenzie on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 14:11:26 -0000:

> My question is, is this situation (where qmail-send is not started at
> boot up) intended?

Clearly it was intended by someone, but it is odd that it would be done
by default. At any rate, if you want qmail-send to run normally, then
just remove the file:

rm /service/qmail-send/down
svc -u /service/qmail-send

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 400000005990b3be
Re: s/qmail-3.3.10. Problems delivering locally from queue. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

in case s/qmail is installed the first time ... all daemons are on purpose (given supervise is used) disabled 'touching' down in the service directory.

The installation procedure did mention this ...

Simply remove those files would do.

svc -u /service/qmail*

is your friend.

Pls. check the current version of s/qmail (3.3.12).

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: EE00CF65