Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
RE: Mails stuck in preprocess after queue repair [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I strongly advise you to use qmqtool http://qmailrocks.thibs.com/qmqtool.php instead of qmHandle

Best Regards

THibault

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Oliver Welter [mailto:mail@oliwel.de]
Envoyé : jeudi 27 avril 2017 08:48
À : qmail mailing list <qmail@list.cr.yp.to>
Objet : Mails stuck in preprocess after queue repair

Good Morning,

I need some help to understand and troubleshoot my situation and hope
somebody can provide some insight.

Situation: I used "qmHandle" to delete messages from the queue after
been hit by a spam wave. The script had problems to terminate qmail so I
used "killall qmail-remote" to assist. After cleaning the queue I used
"svc -d/-u" on qmail-smtpd and qmail-send to restart the services.

Even if I can see both process running, the incoming messages end up in
the "preprocess" queue and never get further. What process is
responsible for handling those messages and how can I restart it? The
only thing that helped now was a restart of the full server...

best regards

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
Re: Mails stuck in preprocess after queue repair [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-27 08:48, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I need some help to understand and troubleshoot my situation and hope
> somebody can provide some insight.
>
> Situation: I used "qmHandle" to delete messages from the queue after
> been hit by a spam wave. The script had problems to terminate qmail so
Depending on the problem, perhaps you can check at the top of qmHandle
if the start/stop commands fits to your config/installation.

> used "killall qmail-remote" to assist. After cleaning the queue I used
qmail-remote? Hanging remote connections? Anyway.
> "svc -d/-u" on qmail-smtpd and qmail-send to restart the services.
>
> Even if I can see both process running, the incoming messages end up in
> the "preprocess" queue and never get further. What process is
> responsible for handling those messages and how can I restart it? The
> only thing that helped now was a restart of the full server...
qmail-send should be the responsible process. From the given info I
assume that it was not stopped correctly. This could take a while. The
"preprocess" could indicate that incomplete messages were stuck in the
queue.

Kai

--
Sent with eQmail-1.10
Re: Mails stuck in preprocess after queue repair [ In reply to ]
Hello Kai,

Am 27.04.2017 um 12:57 schrieb Kai Peter:
> On 2017-04-27 08:48, Oliver Welter wrote:
>> Good Morning,
>>
>> I need some help to understand and troubleshoot my situation and hope
>> somebody can provide some insight.
>>
>> Situation: I used "qmHandle" to delete messages from the queue after
>> been hit by a spam wave. The script had problems to terminate qmail so I
> Depending on the problem, perhaps you can check at the top of qmHandle
> if the start/stop commands fits to your config/installation.

It does, it references svc -u/-d which usually works.

>> used "killall qmail-remote" to assist. After cleaning the queue I used
> qmail-remote? Hanging remote connections? Anyway.
>> "svc -d/-u" on qmail-smtpd and qmail-send to restart the services.
>>
>> Even if I can see both process running, the incoming messages end up in
>> the "preprocess" queue and never get further. What process is
>> responsible for handling those messages and how can I restart it? The
>> only thing that helped now was a restart of the full server...
> qmail-send should be the responsible process. From the given info I
> assume that it was not stopped correctly. This could take a while. The
> "preprocess" could indicate that incomplete messages were stuck in the
> queue.

As said, I did a "svc -d qmail-send" which returned without error, so
I'd assume it was stopped (but to be honest I did not check it). The
problem is that the preprocessing is not working even after trying to
start/restart qmail-send.

I will take care on that the next time - I am very sure it wont take too
long....

best regards

Oliver

--
Protect your environment - close windows and adopt a penguin!
Re: Mails stuck in preprocess after queue repair [ In reply to ]
Thus said Oliver Welter on Tue, 02 May 2017 07:28:48 +0200:

> As said, I did a "svc -d qmail-send" which returned without error, so
> I'd assume it was stopped (but to be honest I did not check it). The
> problem is that the preprocessing is not working even after trying to
> start/restart qmail-send.

You should follow that up with:

svstat qmail-send

It's entirely possible that qmail-send hasn't shutdown if it is waiting
for delivery processes to complete.

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000059081b6c