Mailing List Archive

How is maildrop called from qmail ?
People,

I have had qmail happily operating for many years and in more recent
years I have started using maildrop as the MDA:

maildrop-2.8.3.20151220-1.fc24.x86_64

It just worked and I never really worried about it. Now I am actually
trying to understand how the two programs interact - maildrop doesn't
run as a daemon and everything I have found just says that it takes its
input from StdIn which doesn't help me understand the mechanism - does
qmail attempt to deliver to the user's Maildir and somehow something
alerts maildrop to take delivery of the mail? I've grepped through all
the /etc dir and the qmail files and there is no mention of maildrop
anywhere . .

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: How is maildrop called from qmail ? [ In reply to ]
Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:

> [maildrop] just worked and I never really worried about it. Now I am
> actually trying to understand how the two programs interact -
> maildrop doesn't run as a daemon and everything I have found just
> says that it takes its input from StdIn which doesn't help me
> understand the mechanism

maildrop, and more generally all delivery agent programs other than the
built-in maildir/mbox ones in qmail-local, are "integrated" into qmail by
incorporating a delivery instruction in a .qmail file. A program delivery
line looks like this:

|program-name-or-path [args...]

That tells qmail-local to invoke that program with the message being handed
off attached to the programs stdin. So the program reads the message from
stdin and does whatever the program is supposed to do with it.

There's a special case where the system administrator can make the system-wide
default delivery instruction such a program delivery, in which case it won't
show up in the .qmail file(s).

See the qmail manpages for more details -- `man dot-qmail` for starters, then
follow all the "see also" links in that one.

Charles
Charles Cazabon
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/
Read http://pyropus.ca/personal/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html
Re: How is maildrop called from qmail ? [ In reply to ]
Julio,

On 2017-04-25 04:24, Julio Maidanik wrote:
> Philip,
>
> Acording to Life with Qmail:
>
> Invoking maildrop from .qmail is straightforward:
>
> |maildrop
>
> How maildrop filters and delivers mail is determined by the .mailfilter
> file.
> See the mailfilter man page ...

It can't be that either - the global file:

/etc/maildroprc

does not exist and the only uncommented line in ~/.mailfilter is:

logfile "$HOME/.getmail/.maildrop.log"

but that just tells maildrop where to put the output . .

Thanks,

Phil.

> Regards,
>
> Julio
>

> El 24/04/2017 a las 12:19 p.m., Philip Rhoades escribió:
>> People,
>>
>> I have had qmail happily operating for many years and in more recent
>> years I have started using maildrop as the MDA:
>>
>> maildrop-2.8.3.20151220-1.fc24.x86_64
>>
>> It just worked and I never really worried about it. Now I am actually
>> trying to understand how the two programs interact - maildrop doesn't
>> run as a daemon and everything I have found just says that it takes
>> its input from StdIn which doesn't help me understand the mechanism -
>> does qmail attempt to deliver to the user's Maildir and somehow
>> something alerts maildrop to take delivery of the mail? I've grepped
>> through all the /etc dir and the qmail files and there is no mention
>> of maildrop anywhere . .
>>
>> Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated . .
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>

> ---
> El software de antivirus Avast ha analizado este correo electrónico en
> busca de virus.

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: How is maildrop called from qmail ? [ In reply to ]
David,

On 2017-04-25 03:50, David I. Bell wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> I don't use maildrop, but it occurs to me that perhaps it is being
> invoked from the .qmail delivery file since that where qmail-local
> picks up it's delivery instructions?

Like I said, "maildrop" is not mentioned in any file under:

/var/qmail

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: How is maildrop called from qmail ? [ In reply to ]
Charles,

On 2017-04-25 04:01, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> [maildrop] just worked and I never really worried about it. Now I am
>> actually trying to understand how the two programs interact -
>> maildrop doesn't run as a daemon and everything I have found just
>> says that it takes its input from StdIn which doesn't help me
>> understand the mechanism
>
> maildrop, and more generally all delivery agent programs other than the
> built-in maildir/mbox ones in qmail-local, are "integrated" into qmail
> by
> incorporating a delivery instruction in a .qmail file. A program
> delivery
> line looks like this:
>
> |program-name-or-path [args...]
>
> That tells qmail-local to invoke that program with the message being
> handed
> off attached to the programs stdin. So the program reads the message
> from
> stdin and does whatever the program is supposed to do with it.
>
> There's a special case where the system administrator can make the
> system-wide
> default delivery instruction such a program delivery, in which case it
> won't
> show up in the .qmail file(s).
>
> See the qmail manpages for more details -- `man dot-qmail` for
> starters, then
> follow all the "see also" links in that one.

Found it . .:

~/.qmail

- now I feel silly . .

Many thanks!