A good web based MUA and appropriate file system is also needed.
The setup needs to have inherent facilities for recovery and maintenance.

-C
Re: E-mail solution for 15,000 users [ In reply to ]
On 9 March 2017 at 15:10, C Mandal <chitta@iitkgp.ac.in> wrote:
> Is a documented qmail solution available for a large number of active users.

What is your definition of 'documented qmail solution' ?

For your record, IndiMail has been used for at least 3 million users
(1.2 million active).
Has been used by SBI for its employees. Being used by sites like
matrimony.com, mindtree, Tata Communications.
IndiMail proves an MTA based on qmail, IMAP/POP3 based on
courier-imap, web admin tool. Works with IPV6 and provides TLS, DKIM,
SRS, and almost any feature available in the qmail universe.
It has docker images too so that you can try it out without much
effort. You can try source installation or try the RPM/DEB packages
available on openSUSE build service and the solution works on a
RaspberryPI too.

You can try out roundcube. We use it for all our employees at tagrem.com

> The setup needs to have inherent facilities for recovery and maintenance.

You can have a Journalling Filesystem and sufficient RAID or Mirror
(or preferably both) disc arrays to cover you against failure.

--
Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
Re: E-mail solution for 15,000 users [ In reply to ]
With a large number of users, the files would have to be distributed
over a number of file servers. A single IMAP server and web based MUA
are likely to become bottlenecks. What would be a good solution there.

> > Is a documented qmail solution available for a large number of active users.
> What is your definition of 'documented qmail solution' ?
A diagram of the system accounting for all the aspects would be helpful.

Re: E-mail solution for 15,000 users [ In reply to ]
On 9 March 2017 at 19:18, Chitta Mandal <chitta@iitkgp.ac.in> wrote:

> With a large number of users, the files would have to be distributed
> over a number of file servers. A single IMAP server and web based MUA
> are likely to become bottlenecks. What would be a good solution there.
>
> That is what IndiMail allows you to do. You can have multiple servers with
its own filesystem and users.
In fact IndiMail allows you to have an heterogenous environment. e.g. The
crazy CXOs who love M$outlook and exchange can have an exchange server as
part of the mix. Indimail has a MySQL control table named hostcntrl where
you can maintain which user belongs to which server. This is known as a
clustered setup. The deliver agent, qmail-remote, qmail-lspawn,
qmail-rspawn were modified to do a username lookup and deliver the email to
the correct mail server. The 1.2 million active user setup I mentioned
earlier were on 6 HP Proliant DL360 Dell servers and one E3500 Sun
Microsystem server have Veritas Filesystem VxFS. The clustered setup is
described here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/indimail/indimail-1.9.1/README-CLUSTER
A pictorial representation of this setup can be seen here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/#screenshots
Re: E-mail solution for 15,000 users [ In reply to ]
On 03/09/2017 09:03 AM, Manvendra Bhangui wrote:
> On 9 March 2017 at 19:18, Chitta Mandal <chitta@iitkgp.ac.in
> <mailto:chitta@iitkgp.ac.in>> wrote:
>
> With a large number of users, the files would have to be distributed
> over a number of file servers. A single IMAP server and web based MUA
> are likely to become bottlenecks. What would be a good solution there.
>
> That is what IndiMail allows you to do. You can have multiple servers
> with its own filesystem and users.
> In fact IndiMail allows you to have an heterogenous environment. e.g.
> The crazy CXOs who love M$outlook and exchange can have an exchange
> server as part of the mix. Indimail has a MySQL control table named
> hostcntrl where you can maintain which user belongs to which server.
> This is known as a clustered setup. The deliver agent, qmail-remote,
> qmail-lspawn, qmail-rspawn were modified to do a username lookup and
> deliver the email to the correct mail server. The 1.2 million active
> user setup I mentioned earlier were on 6 HP Proliant DL360 Dell
> servers and one E3500 Sun Microsystem server have Veritas Filesystem
> VxFS. The clustered setup is described here
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/indimail/indimail-1.9.1/README-CLUSTER
> A pictorial representation of this setup can be seen here
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/#screenshots

I put together these docs around a qmail-ldap setup a few years ago,
which may be of potential interest:

http://www.fritzhardy.com/projects/email/