Mailing List Archive

SMTP relaying from Android
People,

I use RoundCubeMail as a webmail client to my QMail server and this
works really nicely when I am on the LAN. There is a RCM client for
Android that works via HTTPS to my server for both reading and sending
but it is a very kludgey app. The standard Android app works very
nicely for reading mail - the incoming server is set up with the server
name and:

SSL - Accepts all Certification

and port:

993

via IMAP but I can't work out how to set up outgoing mail. The Android
app wants an outgoing SMTP server and I have tried messing around with
the security types:

None
SSL
SSL - Accepts all Certification
TLS
TLS - Accepts all Certification

and ports:

25
587
993

but couldn't get anything to work. I could configure relaying to allow
a remote host with a static IP to send mail via plain SMTP to my server
but not for my phone ie part of /etc/tcp.smtp:

107.170.210.205:allow,RELAYCLIENT="" # works
101.119.20.:allow,RELAYCLIENT="" # Vodafone fails - looks like
an IP problem?

I don't want to be forced back to HTTPS with the RCM app - any
suggestions about how to fix the SMTP sending?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
What does your server logs say when you try to send mail from your app ?

Again so can you telnet into your server and run ehlo anydomain.com and post results

Sent from my iPhone

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Shepherd,

On 2016-09-15 21:23, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
> What does your server logs say when you try to send mail from your app
> ?

I don't even get that far - when I try to setup the Android app with the
server name; Security type = None and port = 25, I get:

"Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information.
No response from server."

If I ignore that message and try to send an email, nothing ever arrives
. .

> Again so can you telnet into your server and run ehlo anydomain.com
> and post results

# telnet pricom.com.au 25
Trying 110.142.211.14...
Connected to pricom.com.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
ehlo anydomain.com
220 pricom.com.au ESMTP
250-pricom.com.au
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 0
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
It Looks like you do not have the ssl service running on your server or your email installation is not compiled to run with ssl

Can you run the cmd

#svstat /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log

If yes then what do you get when you tail the qmail-smtpd-ssl log . See below

#tail -f /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log/main/current

Or do

#taill -n 50 /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log/main/current

To see the last fifty lines on the ssl log ...

Sent from my iPhone

> On 15 Sep 2016, at 1:53 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>
> Shepherd,
>

>> On 2016-09-15 21:23, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
>> What does your server logs say when you try to send mail from your app ?
>

> I don't even get that far - when I try to setup the Android app with the server name; Security type = None and port = 25, I get:
>
> "Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. No response from server."
>
> If I ignore that message and try to send an email, nothing ever arrives . .
>

>> Again so can you telnet into your server and run ehlo anydomain.com
>> and post results
>

> # telnet pricom.com.au 25
> Trying 110.142.211.14...
> Connected to pricom.com.au.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ehlo anydomain.com
> 220 pricom.com.au ESMTP
> 250-pricom.com.au
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE 0
> 250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On 15 Sep 2016, at 12:41 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
>>> People,
>>> I use RoundCubeMail as a webmail client to my QMail server and this works really nicely when I am on the LAN. There is a RCM client for Android that works via HTTPS to my server for both reading and sending but it is a very kludgey app. The standard Android app works very nicely for reading mail - the incoming server is set up with the server name and:
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>> and port:
>>> 993
>>> via IMAP but I can't work out how to set up outgoing mail. The Android app wants an outgoing SMTP server and I have tried messing around with the security types:
>>> None
>>> SSL
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>> TLS
>>> TLS - Accepts all Certification
>>> and ports:
>>> 25
>>> 587

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
On 2016-09-15 22:09, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
> It Looks like you do not have the ssl service running on your server
> or your email installation is not compiled to run with ssl
>
> Can you run the cmd
>
> #svstat /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log
>
> If yes then what do you get when you tail the qmail-smtpd-ssl log . See
> below
>
> #tail -f /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log/main/current

# svstat /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log
/service/qmail-smtpd-ssl: unable to chdir: file does not exist
/service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log: unable to chdir: file does not exist

Hmm . . I have a certificate installed but I think it is only working
for HTTPS . . so it looks like I need to work out how to use it for SMTP
as well . . back to Google I guess . .

Thanks!

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
Australia
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au
Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Yes you need to do that . Your webserver's SSL certificate is good to help encrypt your web server and your smtp service needs that too...

Take a look at John Simpson's website it does really have good information to help you through http://qmail.jms1.net/

Eric has qmailrocks but it's way too old and hardly updated . Maybe look at dev.qmailrocks.org it could help

Regards

Shepherd
Sent from my iPhone

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

Just a few points here;

Am I the only one here that thinks that qmailrocks is far too outdated
to even suggest? I personally setup dev.qmailrocks.org years ago and
we're talking freebsd 7 which came out in 2008 (which makes it 8 years
old). I got tired of asking Eric to take control over qmailrocks and I
just gave up on him. He's working with model trains now I guess. I think
the guy just has problems letting go.

If you all want an updated FreeBSD guide for qmail, take a look at
https://freebsdrocks.net/index.php/documents/17-qmail-2-0 . This
includes sending on SSL and TLS as well as secure webmail.

Bill

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Well you are right Bill in your point of view. I mentioned it out that qmailrocks is way too old & I wasn't aware that you are maintaining your own version that is well documented too.

Eric's site is one of the good ancestors of qmail guides out there that makes it very easy to compile and get qmail running asap.

However it's now up to Phil to chose which path he shall be taking . All possibilities are for him to chose, accept & implement .

Thanks once again Bill.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

> On 15 Sep 2016, at 4:26 PM, support@nelsonandwright.com wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Just a few points here;
>
> Am I the only one here that thinks that qmailrocks is far too outdated to even suggest? I personally setup dev.qmailrocks.org years ago and we're talking freebsd 7 which came out in 2008 (which makes it 8 years old). I got tired of asking Eric to take control over qmailrocks and I just gave up on him. He's working with model trains now I guess. I think the guy just has problems letting go.
>
> If you all want an updated FreeBSD guide for qmail, take a look at https://freebsdrocks.net/index.php/documents/17-qmail-2-0 . This includes sending on SSL and TLS as well as secure webmail.
>
> Bill
>
>> On 2016-09-15 09:19, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
>> Yes you need to do that . Your webserver's SSL certificate is good to
>> help encrypt your web server and your smtp service needs that too...
>> Take a look at John Simpson's website it does really have good
>> information to help you through http://qmail.jms1.net/
>> Eric has qmailrocks but it's way too old and hardly updated . Maybe
>> look at dev.qmailrocks.org [4] it could help
>> Regards
>> Shepherd
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> # svstat /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log
>>> /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl: unable to chdir: file does not exist
>>> /service/qmail-smtpd-ssl/log: unable to chdir: file does not exist
>>> Hmm . . I have a certificate installed but I think it is only
>>> working for HTTPS . . so it looks like I need to work out how to use
>>> it for SMTP as well . . back to Google I guess . .
>>> Thanks!
>>> Regards,
>>> Phil.
>>> On 2016-09-15 21:23, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
>>> What does your server logs say when you try to send mail from your
>>> app ?
>>> Again so can you telnet into your server and run ehlo anydomain.com
>>> [1]
>>> and post results
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On 15 Sep 2016, at 12:41 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>>> People,
>>> I use RoundCubeMail as a webmail client to my QMail server and this
>>> works really nicely when I am on the LAN. There is a RCM client for
>>> Android that works via HTTPS to my server for both reading and
>>> sending but it is a very kludgey app. The standard Android app
>>> works very nicely for reading mail - the incoming server is set up
>>> with the server name and:
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>> and port:
>>> 993
>>> via IMAP but I can't work out how to set up outgoing mail. The
>>> Android app wants an outgoing SMTP server and I have tried messing
>>> around with the security types:
>>> None
>>> SSL
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>> TLS
>>> TLS - Accepts all Certification
>>> and ports:
>>> 25
>>> 587
Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
On 2016-09-15 13:53, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Shepherd,
>

> On 2016-09-15 21:23, Shepherd Nhongo wrote:
>> What does your server logs say when you try to send mail from your app
>> ?
>

> I don't even get that far - when I try to setup the Android app with
> the server name; Security type = None and port = 25, I get:
>
> "Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information.
> No response from server."
>
> If I ignore that message and try to send an email, nothing ever arrives
> . .
>

>> Again so can you telnet into your server and run ehlo anydomain.com
>> and post results
>

> # telnet pricom.com.au 25
> Trying 110.142.211.14...
> Connected to pricom.com.au.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> ehlo anydomain.com
> 220 pricom.com.au ESMTP
> 250-pricom.com.au
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE 0
> 250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

Hi Phil,

I can telnet your server from my smartphone, but a "mail from" command
is blocked through barracuda RBL. This seems to be ok because of the
dynamic IP.

regards
Kai

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 15 Sep 2016, at 12:41 PM, Philip Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> People,
>>>
>>> I use RoundCubeMail as a webmail client to my QMail server and this
>>> works really nicely when I am on the LAN. There is a RCM client for
>>> Android that works via HTTPS to my server for both reading and
>>> sending but it is a very kludgey app. The standard Android app works
>>> very nicely for reading mail - the incoming server is set up with the
>>> server name and:
>>>
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>>
>>> and port:
>>>
>>> 993
>>>
>>> via IMAP but I can't work out how to set up outgoing mail. The
>>> Android app wants an outgoing SMTP server and I have tried messing
>>> around with the security types:
>>>
>>> None
>>> SSL
>>> SSL - Accepts all Certification
>>> TLS
>>> TLS - Accepts all Certification
>>>
>>> and ports:
>>>
>>> 25
>>> 587

--
Sent with eQmail-1.10-dev
Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Hi Phil,

the current policy to demand TLS on SMTP (and other communication protocols) was one of the driving forces for my Spamcontrol patch and lately s/qmail (64 bit systems, IPv6 etc).

Maybe you just have a look (link in footer).

Regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: EE00CF65
RE: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> Eric has qmailrocks but it's way too old and hardly updated . Maybe look at dev.qmailrocks.org it could help

I’ve made my own version for Debian which is available on http://qmailrocks.thibs.com/

About the question itself, you can take a look on http://qmailrocks.thibs.com/test-qmail.php and start reading at “Sending e-mail through an authentificate connection : Testing TLS”. It describes some test to do on your server to check which methods are available to use your server to send mail.

You can :

-Accept relaying mail based on the IP (I strongly discourage it) without authentication

-Accept relaying through port TCP 25 after authentication (“Sending e-mail through an authentificate connection : Testing TLS” on my page)

-Accept relaying through port TCP 465 authenticated from the beginning of the session

Best Regards

Thibault

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Phil,

after more then 10 years good old Qmail (with many patches in the
mean-time), I had almost the same problem as you.

Tried a few packages (eqmail, indimail), and ended up with sqmail (they
also got ucspi with SSL-support).
I'm running now sqmail very smoothly and stable, it got SSL (in/out) and
IPv6, both thing mandatory in the coming years.

Just take a look:
http://www.fehcom.de/sqmail/sqmail.html

Best regards,
Pascal

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Well done Richard.

I will also review your guide and recommend it to others in the future.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
People,

Many thanks for all the responses - I really appreciate it! - I am
indeed checking out all the options as time allows . . there seems to
have been a flowering of different variants of qmail recently! - which
all seem to be very well made and reasonably pain-free to install but
with their own advantages and disadvantages - I probably should do a
Google Docs Spreadsheet comparison where people could put "1"s next to
each compared option to see which variant suits them best?

Regards,

Phil.

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
People,

On 2016-09-17 01:27, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> Many thanks for all the responses - I really appreciate it! - I am
> indeed checking out all the options as time allows . . there seems to
> have been a flowering of different variants of qmail recently! - which
> all seem to be very well made and reasonably pain-free to install but
> with their own advantages and disadvantages - I probably should do a
> Google Docs Spreadsheet comparison where people could put "1"s next to
> each compared option to see which variant suits them best?

I have started doing this here - in case anyone wants to help me build
it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pj30OWYkbF3a5f8V6h2pTRCIabuzYYYcHu9pjcKg63o/edit#gid=0

P.

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
Good idea Phil.

I will look at it too.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: SMTP relaying from Android [ In reply to ]
eQmail and indimail have TLS support too. And btw, spamdyke can be used
for auth and TLS too.

Your comparison is quite to flat to me. Short, indimail is the most
complete one including a lot of features. s/qmail has the "best"
implementation of IPv6, but requires ucspi-ssl for TLS - it can't be
used with (x)inetd w/o additional software (TLS/SSL). eQmail is - more
or less - a patched netqmail with sripped source code and some
replacements/addons from my daily practice. At least the most benefit of
(X)qmail for me is its modularity. Thus it can be easily expanded
through (inividual) wrappers to nearly any feature. Just in short.

But independant of your sheet I think your initial problem is a config
issue. I would expect this will happen with all qmail variants as well
with any other MTA. the root cause is to feature out and understand what
is going wrong. Not to read standard docs as a variant of LWQ or
switching to another software. And one more: a lot of the people who are
running a MTA (public) shouldn't do this - IMHO. This would prevent all
from a lot of trouble. This is not a qmail issue. Call me the bad one.