Mailing List Archive

mailfront : only allow allow authenticated user address as MAIL FROM (Return-Path) ?
Hi,

I hope you all had a nice summer !

I just got a few cases where user accounts were compromised (weak
password or hacked pc's + stolen passwords) and then used to send
massive spams, for example last night:

tcpserver: pid 20727 from 195.223.y.y
tcpserver: ok 20727 omicron:62.48.x.x:25 :195.223.y.y::51731
mailfront[20727]: SASL AUTH LOGIN username=info sys_username=o67a123
domain=example.org
mailfront[20727]: MAIL FROM:<****@comcast.net>
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@yahoo.com>
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@eddy.foamex.com>
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@lifeway.com>
(....)
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@clorox.com>
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@yahoo.com>
mailfront[20727]: RCPT TO:<****@yahoo.com>

As you can see, the "MAIL FROM:" part used as Return-Path is completely
forged. I just checked the docs to try to find a way to prevent this
directly with mailfront and its plugins, but with no success yet : have
anyone here using mailfront implemented this ? If yes, a short message
would be great, thanks !

Next step would be to check if the Header-"From: " field is also valid,
but this would most probably be more complex.

Kind regards & a nice week to you,
Olivier
Re: mailfront : only allow allow authenticated user address as MAIL FROM (Return-Path) ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Olivier,

I think I solved that problem partially with my approach 'Mail From: Adress Verification' (MAV).

There is a separate patch against qmail available, though it is part of my former 'Spamcontrol' patch and now -- of course -- s/qmail.

http://fehcom.de/sqmail.html (-> qmail -> MAV).

Best regards.
--eh.

Dr. Erwin Hoffmann | FEHCom | http://www.fehcom.de | PGP Key-Id: EE00CF65