Mailing List Archive

ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches)
For those who are tired of applying patches, I am happy to announce
indimail-mta
indimail-mta = qmail+all patches+dkim+srs+batv+greylisting+ipv6
ucspi-tcp+ssl+daemontools+other program/tools in the qmail universe.

The RPM and debian packages can be downloaded from
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ambhangui&package=indimail-mta

I will be glad to work with you folks in improving it further in case you
require some feature that is missing.

It works almost like qmail with the difference
0) installs in /var/indimail instead of /var/qmail
1) multiple queues. You have /var/indimail/queue/[queue1, queue2, ...]
2) mutiple qmail-send processes
3) ability to insert your own filters before queue, after queue, before
local/remote delivery, after local/remote delivery
4) ability to pass header values as environment variables across the queue
using envheaders control file
5) configurable control directory using CONTROLDIR env variable
6) configurable queue using QUEUE_BASE, QUEUE_START, QUEUE_COUNT env
variables.
7) no hardcoded uid/gid in the executables
8) delivery rate control to domains like aol.com, yahoo.com
9) virus scanning using Erwin Hoffman's QHPSI interface in conjunction with
a 3rd party virus scanner like clamd
..) and much more

Next feature that i am working on is having the entire qmail-smtpd loaded
once. Have already made qmail-smtpd as a shared library. Have modified
tcpserver to be able to load shared .so files (using dlopen) in addition to
executables provided on cmd line.
--
Regards Manvendra - http://www.indimail.org
RE: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Can you email me the patched source? I would like to try this on my side but I am running FreeBSD with my own qmail variant.

I will not be in the office from April 18th to April 22nd.

Bill Olson

<mailto:support@nelsonandwright.com> support@nelsonandwright.com

Nelson and Wright, Inc.

Tel 207-929-8238

Fax 207-929-4278

<http://www.nelsonandwright.com/> http://www.nelsonandwright.com

http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ambhangui <http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Ambhangui&package=indimail-mta> &package=indimail-mta

8) delivery rate control to domains like aol.com <http://aol.com> , yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com>

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 11 April 2016 at 19:19, Bill Olson <support@nelsonandwright.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Can you email me the patched source? I would like to try this on my side
> but I am running FreeBSD with my own qmail variant.

If you want to compile it yourself, download the original qmail-1.03.tar.gz
and ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz from cr.yp.to and
apply the following two patches below

https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/Patches/qmail-1.03.patch.gz
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/Patches/ucspi-tcp-0.88.patch.gz

after applying the patches download the two source (dkim and srs). Compile
them before you compile in qmail-1.03 directory

https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/mailpack/mailpack-1.1/libdkim-1.4.tar.gz
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indimail/files/mailpack/mailpack-1.1/libsrs2-1.0.18.tar.gz

You can take a look at qmail.spec rpm spec file in qmail-1.03 source
directory for post installation steps

Let me know how it goes. I don't have access to FreeBSD and would like to
have a binary package built in case you can help me or give me some
directions.
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Manvendra.

Does the QHPSI & AV filter the crypto sent via email ? I am looking into
this as a replacement of my old qmailrocks installations. Lately a customer
has had to deal with ransomware that filtered as a mail attachement.

Regards,

Shepherd

--
Shepherd Nhongo

Do not Queue mail with SENDMAIL, send mail with QMAIL

Botswana # +267 744 760 40
Zimbabwe # +263 772 688 072
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 11 April 2016 at 19:59, Shepherd Nhongo <shepherdzw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Manvendra.
>
> Does the QHPSI & AV filter the crypto sent via email ? I am looking into
> this as a replacement of my old qmailrocks installations. Lately a customer
> has had to deal with ransomware that filtered as a mail attachement.

QHPSI is simply a method used by qmail-queue to pass the file descriptor of
the open mess file to clamd. It can also pass
the path to the message file (mess file) to any external virus scanner. So
if clamd/clamav is installed, then
I believe clamav does crypto filtering with sanesecurity signatures. But I
have not used the sanesecurity signatures myself.

http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2014-December/001103.html
RE: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I have been using John Simpson’s qmail patch for many, many years. For over 10 years to be exact. This is his patch URL and below is my own qmail install:

John Simpson’s patch and information can be found here:

https://qmail.jms1.net/patches/combined-details.shtml

My own qmail 2.0 install can be found here:

http://freebsdrocks.net/index.php/documents/17-qmail-2-0

My guide is basically an updated version of the old qmailrocks from 2001 and I have been able to keep it updated. I basically wrote the guide myself after testing the guide hundreds of times. I have always used the setup with secure SSL and never had a use for TLS before until someone started bugging me about it. Apple is the reason I need TLS to work.

After over 20+ failed installations with TLS I am starting to think it has something to do with FreeBSD running on amd64. I would rather not move away from FreeBSD because I have so much experience with it. See attached working tls and non-working tls file. The working tls is on i386 and the non-working tls is on amd64. On AMD64 when I capture the log file this is what I see:

016-04-11 10:51:22.939190500 33876 > 220 qmailtest10.nwi.local ESMTP

016-04-11 10:51:22.939861500 33876 < EHLO SAGE2

016-04-11 10:51:22.939909500 33876 > 250-qmailtest10.nwi.local

016-04-11 10:51:22.939911500 33876 > 250-STARTTLS

016-04-11 10:51:22.939913500 33876 > 250-SIZE 0

016-04-11 10:51:22.939914500 33876 > 250-PIPELINING

016-04-11 10:51:22.939921500 33876 > 250 8BITMIME

016-04-11 10:51:22.940528500 33876 < STARTTLS

016-04-11 10:51:22.941518500 33876 > 220 ready for tls

It looks like it wants to accept TLS but because of the encryption … I can’t read it.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 11 April 2016 at 20:24, Bill Olson <support@nelsonandwright.com> wrote:

> My own qmail 2.0 install can be found here:
>
> http://freebsdrocks.net/index.php/documents/17-qmail-2-0
>

> My guide is basically an updated version of the old qmailrocks from 2001
> and I have been able to keep it updated. I basically wrote the guide myself
> after testing the guide hundreds of times. I have always used the setup
> with secure SSL and never had a use for TLS before until someone started
> bugging me about it. Apple is the reason I need TLS to work.
>

> After over 20+ failed installations with TLS I am starting to think it has
> something to do with FreeBSD running on amd64. I would rather not move away
> from FreeBSD because I have so much experience with it.

IMHO This cannot be an issue with FreeBSD

> See attached working tls and non-working tls file. The working tls is on
> i386 and the non-working tls is on amd64. On AMD64 when I capture the log
> file this is what I see:
>

> 016-04-11 10:51:22.939190500 33876 > 220 qmailtest10.nwi.local ESMTP

snip ...

> 016-04-11 10:51:22.940528500 33876 < STARTTLS
>
> 016-04-11 10:51:22.941518500 33876 > 220 ready for tls
>

> It looks like it wants to accept TLS but because of the encryption … I
> can’t read it.
>

> Any thoughts on this?

You probably need to do something like this instead of using telnet

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect 127.0.0.1:25
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Manvendra.
Can you kindly advise:
- Can one install it on CentOS
- Does it allow sending mail from users email clients?
- Can one install on a box where there is a qmailrocks install.
Thanks for your good work.

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 11 April 2016 at 20:34, esoterico network <networks777@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Manvendra.
> Can you kindly advise:
> - Can one install it on CentOS

Yes. The yum/apt repositories are there for CentOS, RHEL, Fedora, openSUSE,
SLES, debian and Ubuntu.

> - Does it allow sending mail from users email clients?

Yes and No. indimail-mta is exactly like qmail. You will have to add users
and have a mechanism to authenticate using
the various checkpassword interface available in indimail-mta. You want to
have virtual domains and many users, you
can use the indimail package instead of indimail-mta. The indimail package
is much bigger than the indimail-mta package and uses MySQL to store user
authentication and other metadata. the indimail package includes everything
that is in the indimail-mta package along with tools to manage virtual
domains. The link for indimail package is

http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aindimail&package=indimail

After installation, you can start the service (indimail-mta or indimail) by
executing the command

# service indimail start

> - Can one install on a box where there is a qmailrocks install.
>
> Yes you can theoretically, since both have a different installation
directory. But you will have to run smtp, imap, pop3 on different ports
since qmailrocks would have already installed them to running on port 25,
110, 143, etc. Or you will have to shutdown the qmailrocks service to have
indimail-mta/indimail services running. If you are keen on doing this you
may want to exchange emails with me on my gmail id rather than torturing
the qmail list for matters not relating to qmail.
RE: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
This is the command I was using:

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect 192.168.9.223:587

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect 127.0.0.1:25 <http://127.0.0.1:25>
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
> After over 20+ failed installations with TLS I am starting to think it has
> something to do with FreeBSD running on amd64. I would rather not move away
> from FreeBSD because I have so much experience with it. See attached
> working tls and non-working tls file. The working tls is on i386 and the
> non-working tls is on amd64. On AMD64 when I capture the log file this is
> what I see:

The non-working log does not show STARTTLS capability in response to the
EHLO command. Looks to be an issue with some setting. e.g. in indimail-mta,
I am setting the environment variable STARTTLS to enable the capability.
There must be similiar kind of variable in the patch that you have applied
(John Simpson's patch). From a cursory glance of this patch, STARTTLS gets
enabled only if /var/qmail/control/servercert.pem is present and DENY_TLS
env variable is not set.
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
centos 7 install of indimail produces:

Error: Package: indimail-1.9.1-24.1.x86_64 (home_mbhangui)
Requires: mysql-server

centos 7 now uses mariadb (equivalent to mysql pretty much).

can your package be updated?

- Fabian S.

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 12/04/2016 16:12, fsantiago@garbage-juice.com wrote:
> centos 7 install of indimail produces:
>
> Error: Package: indimail-1.9.1-24.1.x86_64 (home_mbhangui)
> Requires: mysql-server
>
> centos 7 now uses mariadb (equivalent to mysql pretty much).
Surely you can install mysql-server anyway even if Centos is using
mariadb as it's default.

I imagine it would take quite a bit of writing to give you a branch that
allows for optional db systems

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 12 April 2016 at 20:42, <fsantiago@garbage-juice.com> wrote:

> centos 7 install of indimail produces:
>
> Error: Package: indimail-1.9.1-24.1.x86_64 (home_mbhangui)
> Requires: mysql-server
>
> centos 7 now uses mariadb (equivalent to mysql pretty much).
>
> can your package be updated?
>
> - Fabian S.
>
> It should work with either mysql-community-server or mariadb. You can
correspond with me on my address to avoid details that may be unnecessary
for the qmail list.

After installing (yum install mariadb-server, you can again try yum install
indimail)
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 12 April 2016 at 20:42, <fsantiago@garbage-juice.com> wrote:

> centos 7 install of indimail produces:
>
> Error: Package: indimail-1.9.1-24.1.x86_64 (home_mbhangui)
> Requires: mysql-server
>
> centos 7 now uses mariadb (equivalent to mysql pretty much).
>
> can your package be updated? by executing the command

I investigated CentOS 7 environment. The base repositories do not come
with the repository to install mariadb or mysql from oracle

You need to first setup a repo for one of them.

If you need mariadb, then setup the repo following instructions at
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/yum/
If you need mysql-community server then follow instructions at
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-yum-repo-quick-guide/en/

Both mariadb-server and mysql-community-server provide the virtual
package mysql-server.
After setting up the server and the IndiMail repo, just give the command

# yum install indimail

I have attached a install log for CentOS 7 in this email which you can follow
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Manvendra,

I believe you're incorrect there; i installed mariadb ahead of trying
indimail without adding any mariadb specific repo. it came from the
centos-base updates repo which is preconfigured on centos from install.

yum info reports:

Name : mariadb
Arch : x86_64
Epoch : 1
Version : 5.5.47
Release : 1.el7_2
Size : 49 M
Repo : installed
From repo : updates
License : GPLv2 with exceptions and LGPLv2 and BSD
Description : MariaDB is a community developed branch of MySQL.
: MariaDB is a multi-user, multi-threaded SQL database
server.
: It is a client/server implementation consisting of a
server
: daemon (mysqld) and many different client programs and
: libraries. The base package contains the standard
: MariaDB/MySQL client programs and generic MySQL files.

- Fabian S.

Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
On 14 April 2016 at 18:18, <fsantiago@garbage-juice.com> wrote:
> Manvendra,
>
> I believe you're incorrect there; i installed mariadb ahead of trying
> indimail without adding any mariadb specific repo. it came from the
> centos-base updates repo which is preconfigured on centos from install.

Execute the following command on your server and let me know the result

rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server

Also what happens if you execute the following command ?

yum install mysql-server

This is what I get on my CentOS 7 Server

# rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server
MariaDB-server-5.5.48-1.el7.centos.x86_64

I have seen the rpm spec file of both mariadb and
mysql-community-server. Both have the following
in their RPM spec file
Provides: mysql-server

Changing the indimail rpm spec file for mariadb or mysql-community
means that two different build
have to be setup (one for mariadb and one for mysql-community), which
is not a good thing to do.
Both mariadb and mysql-community server are supposed to be compatible
with each other

The last step you could try is the following

yum install MariaDB-server

Once you have MariaDB-server installed, it will provide the virtual
package named mysql-server
and you will have no problem install indimail by executing

yum install indimail

Just see the install.txt file attached in my previous email. I have
done all the steps on
a CentOS 7 server.
Re: ANNOUNCE - indimail-mta (qmail+ucsp-tcp+daemontools with all patches) [ In reply to ]
Manvendra,

1.> rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server

no package provides mysql-server

2.> yum install mysql-server

No package mysql-server available.
Error: Nothing to do

3.> yum install MariaDB-server

No package MariaDB-server available.
* Maybe you meant: mariadb-server

3a.> yum install mariadb-server

Package 1:mariadb-server-5.5.47-1.el7_2.x86_64 already installed and
latest version
Nothing to do

---
--