Mailing List Archive

OT but related to Qmail - I want to raise membership for LESTp
People,

I thought I would ask the Gurus here before I look at other options - I
think this might be doable just with Qmail but I hope I don't upset the
political sensibilities of anyone too much!

I need to drum up at least 500 members (hopefully a lot more) for a new
political party I am setting up in Australia to run Senate candidates in
all states and territories for the next Federal Election - due in about
18 months.

http://lestp.org (Life Extension, Science and Technology Party)

The problem is that to have your party "above the line" on the Senate
ballot paper, you need at least 500 members and some other things and be
registered with the Australian Electoral Commission. Natural
constituencies for the party are:

- Older people who are concerned about health, longevity and quality of
life

- The younger generation who realise things can be done better and
faster using modern technology (eg democracy)

- Anyone involved in Science, Technology, Engineering research and
solving big and small problems

Unlike Clive Palmer ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_United_Party
), I don't have a spare $10M to spend setting up the party and will have
to rely on doing things smarter and cheaper (and hopefully attracting
more thinking, progressive people who are unhappy with the state of
traditional politics here). So, one idea I have is to have a
competition that hopefully might go viral - sort of like a ponzi scheme
without the scam . . :

- set up a page on the web site that a new member can sign up to

- allow members to email friends, colleagues etc (who won't feel spammed
by the approach) _from the site_ - such that the From: address is the
current member and have some mechanism that can accumulate the From: and
To: fields to some DB, so that if the To: person also joins up, the new
member is credited to the current member

- the member who causes the most number of new people to sign up gets
some sort of prize - yet to be determined . .

Is this something that could be done entirely within Qmail or would it
require extra hacking? (besides the DB I mean).

Any constructive feedback appreciated!

Regards,

Phil.
--