Mailing List Archive

Announcing qmail-autoresponder version 0.98
Version 0.98 of qmail-autoresponder is now available at:
http://untroubled.org/qmail-autoresponder/
Changes in version 0.98

- Manually invoke qmail-inject and qmail-queue separately in order to
fully control the envelope and capture the qmail PID.

- Added a "bcc" option to allow for copying autoresponses to an address
other than the sender.

- Add an optional separator before the copied message.

- Add a newline after the response message and after the copied header,
to make sure there is at least one blank line between them.

- The MySQL autoresponder now supports an optional table name prefix to
better interoperate with other applications using the same database.

- Added support for a log file or table that is not pruned.

- Updated for bglibs v2.

Development of this version has been sponsored by FutureQuest, Inc.
ossi@FutureQuest.net http://www.FutureQuest.net/
qmail-autoresponder
Rate-limited autoresponder for qmail
Bruce Guenter <bruce@untroubled.org>
Version 0.98
2015-02-05

This is a simple program to automatically respond to emails.

It is based on some ideas (but little or no code) from a similar
autoresponder by Eric Huss <e-huss@netmeridian.com>, and ideas presented
in the qmail mailing list.

Features:
- Limits rate of automatic responses (defaults to a maximum of one
message every hour).
- Will not respond to nearly every type of mailing list or bulk email.
- Will not respond to bounce messages or MAILER-DAEMON.
- Bounces looping messages.
- Can insert the original subject into the response.
- Can copy original message into response.
- Can use links in the rate-limiting data directory to limit inode usage
to a single inode.

A mailing list has been set up to discuss this and other packages.
To subscribe, send an email to:
bgware-subscribe@lists.untroubled.org
A mailing list archive is available at:
http://lists.untroubled.org/?list=bgware

Development versions of qmail-autoresponder are available at:
https://github.com/bruceg/qmail-autoresponder

Installation:

- Make sure the latest version of bglibs from
http://untroubled.org/bglibs/ is compiled and installed.
- Build the sources by running "make". To build the MySQL support, run
"make mysql" as well.
- After the package has been compiled, run the following command as root:
make install

Usage (file-based):

Put "|qmail-autoresponder DIRECTORY" into your ".qmail" file before
other delivery instructions. DIRECTORY is the directory into which
rate-limiting information will be stored, and is expected to contain a
"message.txt" file containing a pre-formatted response (including
headers). Any instance of "%S" in the message file will be replaced
with the original subject.

Usage (MySQL):

Put "|qmail-autoresponder-mysql USERNAME DOMAIN" into your ".qmail" file
before other delivery instructions. All data (including the message)
will be pulled from the MySQL table. See schema.mysql for a table
schema. This program reads MySQL options from the "qmail-autoresponder"
group. If $MYSQL_USER, $MYSQL_HOST, $MYSQL_PASS, $MYSQL_DB, or
$MYSQL_SOCK are set in the .qmail file, they override the defaults in
the MySQL configuration file. The parameters "USERNAME" and "DOMAIN"
are used as keys into the MySQL tables. DOMAIN may be replaced with
"$HOST", and USERNAME may be replaced with "$EXT", "$DEFAULT" or "$USER"
depending on the installation (quoting is required).

A mailing list has been set up to discuss this and other packages.
To subscribe, send an email to:
bgware-subscribe@lists.untroubled.org
A mailing list archive is available at:
http://lists.untroubled.org/?list=bgware

This program is Copyright(C) 2015 Bruce Guenter, and may be copied
according to the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (GPL) Version 2 or a later
version. A copy of this license is included with this package. This
package comes with no warranty of any kind.

--
Bruce Guenter <bruce@untroubled.org> http://untroubled.org/
RE: Announcing qmail-autoresponder version 0.98 [ In reply to ]
Hello Bruce,

First of all thanks for sharing your code !

Do you know if it works with your bglibs version as currently available in
package https://packages.debian.org/hu/source/wheezy/bglibs ?

Best Regards

Thibault

Re: Announcing qmail-autoresponder version 0.98 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 09:21:33AM +0100, Thibault Richard wrote:
> First of all thanks for sharing your code !

You're welcome. At this point I'm just thankful somebody is still
listening.

> Do you know if it works with your bglibs version as currently available in
> package https://packages.debian.org/hu/source/wheezy/bglibs ?

It might, but it'll need a few changes to the conf-cc, conf-ld, and
Makefile, as well as many #include lines.

--
Bruce Guenter <bruce@untroubled.org> http://untroubled.org/