The smap smtp server (from TIS FWTK) can limit message size, but it relies
on sendmail for actual delivery :-(

Item for Wishlist 3?
--
\Oved
Dr. Oved Ben-Aroya, Taub Computer Center, Technion City, Haifa 32000, Israel
oved@techunix.technion.ac.il PGP key available by finger
PGP Key fingerprint = A9 52 46 04 E8 70 41 99 60 E3 DA 8F BA 39 C2 C8
Re: Limiting size of accepted messages [ In reply to ]

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Oved Ben-Aroya wrote:

> We maintain user quotas. This effectively limits the size of _delivered_
> messages to users, but those big undeliverable messages land in the
> postmaster's mailbox.
>
> It would be nice to be able to set a limit on the size of accepted
> messages in qmail (maybe different limits for smtp and local delivery),
> by putting the value in some control file.
>
> The smap smtp server (from TIS FWTK) can limit message size, but it relies
> on sendmail for actual delivery :-(
>
> Item for Wishlist 3?

on the POP3 service We run at work we have the concept of a 'warehouse' of
messages. These are messages which are over the user's quota, awaiting
delivery into their mailbox. For delivery to occur the user has to delete
messages out of their mailbox. delivery into the mailbox [mbox format] is
controled by a deliver script, when the qpopper exits it transfers messages
from the warehouse into the user's mailbox until the user is upto quota
again.

A user cannot read 'warehoused' messages, but they can discover how many of
them there are...

Mailbox status report for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mail Last read: Fri Feb 7 21:23:44 GMT 1997

Messages:
New: 541
Old: 0
Read: 0
Accessible: 541
Warehoused (inaccessible): 23

new = arrived after last read
old = arrived before last read
read = read
Accessible = old+new
arehoused = what's left over

As a postmaster I hate it when I get non delivery reports becuase the
remote user is over quota [vaxen normally] as there's normally nothing I
can do about it.

RjL
+----------------------------+
+----------------------------+

Re: Limiting size of accepted messages [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Richard Letts wrote:

> on the POP3 service We run at work we have the concept of a 'warehouse' of
> messages. These are messages which are over the user's quota, awaiting
> delivery into their mailbox. For delivery to occur the user has to delete
> messages out of their mailbox. delivery into the mailbox [mbox format] is
> controled by a deliver script, when the qpopper exits it transfers messages
> from the warehouse into the user's mailbox until the user is upto quota
> again.

Interesting idea, but NAH (-: not applicable here). Even if I could
implement it in a short time, what if the message size exceeds the total
user's quota? I'd like to be able to block those huge messages.

Re: Limiting size of accepted messages [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Oved Ben-Aroya wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Richard Letts wrote:
>

> > on the POP3 service We run at work we have the concept of a 'warehouse' of
> > messages. These are messages which are over the user's quota, awaiting
> > delivery into their mailbox. For delivery to occur the user has to delete
> > messages out of their mailbox. delivery into the mailbox [mbox format] is
> > controled by a deliver script, when the qpopper exits it transfers messages
> > from the warehouse into the user's mailbox until the user is upto quota
> > again.
>
> Interesting idea, but NAH (-: not applicable here). Even if I could
> implement it in a short time, what if the message size exceeds the total
> user's quota? I'd like to be able to block those huge messages.

the check is done before a message is added to th inbox
'is this user over quota [yet]'
no -> add message
yes -> warehouse message

hence user's can always have atleast one message in their inbox...

RjL
+----------------------------+
Re: Limiting size of accepted messages [ In reply to ]
I'd sure like to see a copy of that script if at all poss. Seems that most
of my users don't have the word quota in there dictionary at home :)

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Richard Letts wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Oved Ben-Aroya wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Richard Letts wrote:
> >

> > > on the POP3 service We run at work we have the concept of a 'warehouse' of
> > > messages. These are messages which are over the user's quota, awaiting
> > > delivery into their mailbox. For delivery to occur the user has to delete
> > > messages out of their mailbox. delivery into the mailbox [mbox format] is
> > > controled by a deliver script, when the qpopper exits it transfers messages
> > > from the warehouse into the user's mailbox until the user is upto quota
> > > again.
> >
> > Interesting idea, but NAH (-: not applicable here). Even if I could
> > implement it in a short time, what if the message size exceeds the total
> > user's quota? I'd like to be able to block those huge messages.
> >
> the check is done before a message is added to th inbox
> 'is this user over quota [yet]'
> no -> add message
> yes -> warehouse message
>
> hence user's can always have atleast one message in their inbox...
>
> RjL
> | richard@illuin.demon.co.uk | Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Kenny Elliott kenny@wild.net
System Administrator http://www.wild.net/~kenny