Mailing List Archive

qmail and Petidomo
Evan Champion writes:

> It also seems like without using qlist, you seem to lose the improved
> bounce detection. Is there a way to get the bounce detection with
> another mailing list package?

My bounce manager will work with any mailing list package that accepts
unsubscribe messages sent to the -request file.

> (alternatively, is there a way to get
> qlist to run moderated mailing lists?)

Sure. Just set up the mailing list so that the first thing in its
.qmail file is a filter that bounces mail that came in over SMTP.
Since (I presume) you have a signon on the machine that runs the
mailing list, your mail will arrive locally, so yours will go through.

Actually, the best method is for you to sign all postings with PGP,
and run PGP from the .qmail file.

If you're using qlist, you might want my qlist patch, which changes
the security feature from setting the suid bit on the .qmail file to
insisting that a +list command appears prior to any addresses qlist
adds. Both of these features cause qmail to defer delivery to any
non-forward addresses, but the second allows you to insert a filter by
hand prior to the +list command.

All software available from http://www.qmail.org.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok
Re: qmail and Petidomo [ In reply to ]
On 10 Feb 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:

> My bounce manager will work with any mailing list package that accepts
> unsubscribe messages sent to the -request file.
>
> > (alternatively, is there a way to get
> > qlist to run moderated mailing lists?)
>
> Sure. Just set up the mailing list so that the first thing in its
> .qmail file is a filter that bounces mail that came in over SMTP.
> Since (I presume) you have a signon on the machine that runs the
> mailing list, your mail will arrive locally, so yours will go through.

Unfortunately the person who maintains the mailing list doesn't have
local access to the machine.

> Actually, the best method is for you to sign all postings with PGP,
> and run PGP from the .qmail file.

Well, I don't think that's going to happen. PGP is way beyond the
security we're after, and I don't think the owner has any auto-PGP
software available so it would be a real inconvenience to him.

> If you're using qlist, you might want my qlist patch, which changes
> the security feature from setting the suid bit on the .qmail file to
> insisting that a +list command appears prior to any addresses qlist
> adds. Both of these features cause qmail to defer delivery to any
> non-forward addresses, but the second allows you to insert a filter by
> hand prior to the +list command.

That would be particularly nice for adding things like auto-archiving.
Will that become part of the standard distribution?

Evan
--
Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau
Re: qmail and Petidomo [ In reply to ]
Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

: Sure. Just set up the mailing list so that the first thing in its
: .qmail file is a filter that bounces mail that came in over SMTP.
: Since (I presume) you have a signon on the machine that runs the
: mailing list, your mail will arrive locally, so yours will go through.

Well, that doesn't work for me. You see, moderator-approved
posting CAN come from the SMTP server (thus from the network). Look
at the following header segment:

---cut---
---cut---

As you can see, the mail is generated from athena.socom.com,
delivered via SMTP to poseidon.socom.com (my main mailhub, and where
Majordomo resides) and then Majordomo's "resend" fires up the mail to my
"secret" address (which is NOT "SECRET-ADDRESS" :-)) and to the list
since it contained the correct Approved: header.

: Actually, the best method is for you to sign all postings with PGP,
: and run PGP from the .qmail file.

This seems like a major(domo) overhead for what we send.

Ciao,
...David

--
// d a v i d l e b e l <lebel@socom.com> http://superdave.socom.com/
// analyst / system administrator / hacker socom technologies, inc.
Re: qmail and Petidomo [ In reply to ]