* qmail-run-20040803

Many thanks to Charles for his suggestions and patience.

- Amitai
Re: pkgsrc qmail packages re-updated [ In reply to ]
Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com> wrote:

> Executive summary: my add-ons have moved out of the "qmail" and
> "netqmail" packages into a new "qmail-run" package.
[...]
> Many thanks to [...]

... and to Mr. Schlair for welcoming criticism, and for making an effort to
reduce/redirect the support burden inherent in any packaging of complex
software.

Cheers,

Charles
Charles Cazabon <qmail@discworld.dyndns.org>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html
pkgsrc qmail packages re-updated [ In reply to ]
On 3 Aug 2004, at 17:20, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> Versions incorporating these changes:
> * netqmail-1.05nb1
> * qmail-1.03nb8
> * qmail-run-20040803

Nice to see some activity on this list!

I still run qmail, and I still get it (usually on NetBSD, but sometimes
Mac OS X or Linux) from pkgsrc, where I continue to maintain these
packages:

- qmail-1.03nb25
- qmail-run-20170114

pkgsrc grew a framework for build options a couple weeks after I posted
the above, obviating the need for a separate netqmail package. Build
options available today:

:; make show-options
Any of the following general options may be selected:
djbware-errno-hack Patch to #include <errno.h> for
correctness.
qmail-bigdns Patch to handle oversized responses to MX
queries.
qmail-maildiruniq Patch to avoid name collisions when PIDs
recycle fast.
qmail-netqmail Patch collection prepared by respected list
members.
qmail-outgoingip Patch to force a particular source IP
address.
qmail-srs Patch to implement Sender Rewriting Scheme
with libsrs2.
qmail-viruscan Patch to SMTP-reject certain types of MIME
attachments.
sasl Enable SASL support.
syncdir Force synchronous link() and related
syscalls.
tls Enable TLS support.
At most one of the following rcpt options may be selected:
qmail-badrcptto Patch to SMTP-reject particular envelope
recipients.
qmail-qregex Patch to SMTP-reject customizable patterns.
qmail-rcptcheck Patch to SMTP-reject via a script or
program.
qmail-realrcptto Patch to SMTP-reject nonexistent
recipients.

These options are enabled by default:
djbware-errno-hack qmail-bigdns qmail-netqmail
qmail-realrcptto

The qmail-run package creates all the basic config files needed to run
qmail, provides example mailer.conf, spamdyke.conf, and stunnel.conf and
NetBSD-style rc.d scripts, and throws in wrapper scripts for procmail
and qmail-qfilter.

Example of how all this fits together: I send my own mail through...

- stunnel on port 587, connecting to
- mess822's ofmipd with John R. Levine's SMTP AUTH patch (available in
pkgsrc with the "sasl" option to mess822), which
- qmail-run's qmailofmipd rc.d script provides on localhost:26, and
which
- checkpassword authenticates (setuid root, using the
"checkpassword-suid" option).

In the just-released stable "2017Q1" branch of pkgsrc, binary packages
of qmail actually work, without build and install hosts needing to agree
on numeric UIDs and GIDs! The main trick was porting forward Paul Fox's
getpwnam.patch from 0.96; accompanying tricks were mostly pkgsrcery. ;-)

If for some odd reason you'd like to read about this stuff in more
detail, I recently wrote (with copious links to commit logs) about my
experience running NetBSD and qmail and figuring out how to harmonize
the two: https://schmonz.com/2017/03/27/automation-for-mail-hosting/

- Amitai
Re: pkgsrc qmail packages re-updated [ In reply to ]
On 2 Apr 2017, at 13:35, Amitai Schleier wrote:

> In the just-released stable "2017Q1" branch of pkgsrc, binary packages
> of qmail actually work, without build and install hosts needing to
> agree on numeric UIDs and GIDs! The main trick was porting forward
> Paul Fox's getpwnam.patch from 0.96; accompanying tricks were mostly
> pkgsrcery. ;-)

Here's a two-minute demo, in case anyone besides me finds it useful, of
switching from NetBSD's default Postfix to qmail:
https://youtu.be/4FDdKsVAwvk (I threw in SMTP service as a bonus).

Given these publicly available binary packages, when I set up new
systems, I'll probably take the one minute to set up qmail as the system
MTA.

pkgsrc also provides binary packages for other OSes, like Linux,
SmartOS, and Mac OS X. When I find myself on those systems, having qmail
binaries built with sensible defaults is pretty handy, even if the
qmail-run package is less completely helpful than it is on NetBSD.

Hoping DJB intends to release checkpassword and mess822 into the public
domain sooner rather than later, so pkgsrc can include them in these
binary packages.

- Amitai