Mailing List Archive

smtp server
hello everyone.

i am a new user to qmail and linux.

I installed qmail as per life wth qmail.

then i installed vpopmail, qmailadmin.

i also installed the qmail-pop3d server such that it uses vchkpw of vpopmail for authentication.

i used the inst_check available and it said

the lwq installation looks good.

i am not able to get the smtp service running as of now.

i get the following message.

could anyone help me with this .

#telnet 0 25
Trying 192.168.1.9...
Connected to 192.168.1.9.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

is there any changes that have to be made in the log file of qmail-send and qmail-smtpd because i have installed vpopmail.

thanks,
Anu
Re: smtp server [ In reply to ]
As i mentioned previously, i installed using lwq and configured the domain name as eriva.erivaind.com

then i created a virtual domain with vpopmail as erivaind.com

and added 2 users anu and puneet using qmailadmin.

i configured outlook express in one of the client pcs.

with pop and smtp servers as 192.168.1.9(the ip address of the pc in which the server is installed)

the pop authentication is working well. from the outlook express configured at the client pc, i am able to check for the incoming
messages but not able to send messages. The message i m getting is:
--------------------
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '192..168.1.9', Server: '192.168.1.9', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
-----------------------
when i tried telnet to the local host as follows, i get the following message.

---------
[root@localhost root]# telnet 192.168.1.9 25
Trying 192.168.1.9...
Connected to 192.168.1.9.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 eriva.erivaind.com ESMTP
user anu@erivaind.com
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)
---------------------
any idea what has gone wrong ?

regards,
Anu
From: Sushil Rayal <sushilrayal@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 03:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

As the out of telnet show the SMTP is working fine. if
u are facing any problem, explain it .

Sushil
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
Re: smtp server [ In reply to ]
Anuradha Kalyan <anuradk@erivasystems.com> wrote:

> I installed qmail as per life wth qmail.
> then i installed vpopmail, qmailadmin.

Perhaps you should just install qmail according to "Life with qmail" and
verify that you have it working before trying to add additional software.
However, ...

> i am not able to get the smtp service running as of now.
[...]
> #telnet 0 25
> Trying 192.168.1.9...
> Connected to 192.168.1.9.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Check the tcpserver logs for this process; they will likely indicate that the
service "run" script contains an error. If you stop/down the service and run
the run script by hand, you'll also see the cause.

Charles
Charles Cazabon <qmail@discworld.dyndns.org>
GPL'ed software available at: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/
Read http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html