Mailing List Archive

what do you do with Python
I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?
Thanks for the advice
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
Susan,

To see what Python does, take a look at http://www.python.org

If you want python job ads, take a look at http://www.dice.com
There are many :)

Ciao,
Gaetan Corneau
Software Developer (System integration Team)
BaaN Supply Chain Solutions
E-mail: Gaetan_Corneau@baan.com
Compuserve: Gaetan_Corneau@compuserve.com
ICQ Number: 7395494
Tel: (418) 654-1454 ext. 252
"Profanity is the one language all programmers know best"

what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
Hi All--

Gaetan Corneau wrote:

> Susan,
>
> To see what Python does, take a look at http://www.python.org

Also consider joining the Python Tutorial mailing list, if you are new
to programming or to Python. The address can be found on the python.org
pages (it has mysteriously vanished from my address book--that will
teach me to back up NetScape!), and is a quick way to get beginner's
questions answered. Someone will undoubtedly jump into the puddle with
both feet and provide the address on this list, if I don't beat them to
it, so watch this space;-)

> If you want python job ads, take a look at http://www.dice.com
> There are many :)

But *NONE* in Utah, dammit.

<I-told-you-we-had-the-greatest-minds-of-the-19th-century-here>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan@callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
susan e paolini wrote:

> I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?
> Thanks for the advice

I write software with Python. Python is one of the nicest programming
languages I know (and I know quite a few). I write scripts to do various
boring database stuff (luckily less boring due to Python), I've written
a CGI script, I'm working on building a web site in Zope (which is a
Python based web application platform). I play around with Python a lot
too. It's great to do prototyping in.

I'm planning to use Python to drive several of my larger pet programming
projects; use fast C or C++ where necessary, but use Python to do the
rest (and the rest is big; user interfaces, analysis of data, scripting,
etc).

Anyway, I'm making money doing mostly Python stuff. I introduced Python
here myself, it wasn't advertized, but now they're stuck with it (as
they're going for Zope). Python isn't a bad language to be stuck with;
one of the best languages to be stuck with, in fact, so I'm doing them a
favor. :)

Python, by the way, is a clear, powerful, object oriented interpreted
language with one of the most intelligent and civilized internet user
communities I've yet encountered; and they like a good joke too. :)

As I've expressed before in previous posts, Python is probably edging
towards the 'zooming off into infinity' part of the exponential growth
curve just about now. One or two years from now no one in computing will
be able to ask your question.

bold-prediction-mode-off-ly yours,

Martijn
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
On 14 Apr 99, Ce'Nedra took her magical amulet and heard susan e paolini say:

>I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?
>Thanks for the advice

Ask not... what Python can do for you! But what you can do for Python! :^)

Hmm, seriously though, it's good for a lot of things. I'm sure that there are
lots of people around who can explain it better than I can, but I'll give it
a try anyway. Python is a highly flexible and dynamic language, useful for
programs ranging from simple scripts to large projects (for instance, the
Grail web browser). It's also very readable and thus maintainable. It
provides ways for object-oriented, procedural and even functional programming
(to some extent). If Python itself doesn't do what you want, you can extend
it in C, or possibly another language if your platform allows it.

Myself, I'm using it for just about everything now. I wrote a Magic the
Gathering database & search engine, a Vedic astrology program, a board game,
a signature file generator, a spell checker, a card game, an ftp thingy, etc.
etc. and *lots* of little scripts to make life easier.

Yadda yadda yadda... I'm sure you get the idea. Check out the Python homepage
(http://www.python.org) for more info and advocacy.

Veel liefs,

+ Hans Nowak (Zephyr Falcon)
+ Homepage (under construction): http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/
+ You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
+ May a stockbroker give unwanted advice about your wig!
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
susan e paolini wrote:
> =

> I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?=

> Thanks for the advice

Python solves hard problems elegantly. Python jobs aren't advertised
because usually people take "ordinary" jobs and turn them into Python
jobs. For instance if you get a job solving some really complicated sort
of math problem, or building a complicated text management system your
boss often only cares about the end result, not the language you do it in=
=2E
So we choose the best language for the job which is often Python. So the
question isn't "what Python does" but "what do you need to do?"

-- =

Paul Prescod - ISOGEN Consulting Engineer speaking for only himself
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a =

single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the =

electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture =

that began with Gutenberg=92s press. On several counts, that now seems =

the reverse of the truth.

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19-12-98/index_xm0015.html
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
susan e paolini wrote:
> I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?
> Thanks for the advice

I am writing a user interface and project management application based
on one of the most advanced physically based lighting simulation
toolkits available. This is a commercial project, and will probably
end up with more than 20 kloc of python.
In any other language that could decently solve the task, this would
result in about five times as much code, which would mean that I'd
have to hire one or two programmers to help me. Since I can't afford
that, the project would have simply died without python.

You will often find similar situations, where one python programmer
can eliminate several job offers for other language programmers.
Somehow, python is slowing down it's own growth through its key
strength here...

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler -- simulation developper -- schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+ -- lighting design tools -- http://www.schorsch.com/

what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
* susan e paolini <tville@earthlink.net>
| I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?

It makes life happier! Besides turning repetive tasks to fully
automatic procedures when I administer web content at my need-
the-money-very-badly-since-i-am-a-student-job, it also has given several
special purpose applications to other employees wanting to lay out
content as well - applications written in no-time compared to other
programming languages. When I sooner or later leave the job, I bet
the job advertisment will say "Python" all over it :-)

--
Anbjorn Grindheim
what do you do with Python [ In reply to ]
In article <199904142107.XAA19293@axil.hvision.nl>,
"Hans Nowak" <ivnowa@hvision.nl> wrote:
> On 14 Apr 99, Ce'Nedra took her magical amulet and heard susan e paolini say:
>
> >I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?

hi susan,

yes, you have to still look somewhat *deep* to find jobs with "python*
there, but they *are* there. contracting jobs as well as full-time.
in fact, my group at work is hiring someone where python would be a
good skill to have (although unfortunately not a full-time python job!)

> Hmm, seriously though, it's good for a lot of things. I'm sure that there are
> lots of people around who can explain it better than I can, but I'll give it
> a try anyway. Python is a highly flexible and dynamic language, useful for
> programs ranging from simple scripts to large projects (for instance, the
> Grail web browser). It's also very readable and thus maintainable. It
> provides ways for object-oriented, procedural and even functional programming
> (to some extent). If Python itself doesn't do what you want, you can extend
> it in C, or possibly another language if your platform allows it.

it is esp. great for when c/c++/java is too "heavy" to use,
but shell scripts, etc., are too weak to handle. it's the
perfect, "in-between" language!

> Myself, I'm using it for just about everything now. I wrote a Magic the
> Gathering database & search engine, a Vedic astrology program, a board game,
> a signature file generator, a spell checker, a card game, an ftp thingy, etc.
> etc. and *lots* of little scripts to make life easier.

stuff we have done with python... let's see, lots of scripts
as mentioned above, software that manages all the dirty nightly
tasks, statistics gathering programs, schedule-management stuff,
hardware monitoring systems, web-based email systems :-), etc.

some day soon, not only will you *see* python in the job descrip-
tion, but it will also be "required." :*)

-wesley