Is there a way to uninstall Python compiled from sources?

--
Milos Prudek
Re: uninstall [ In reply to ]
On 10 Sep, 15:45, Milos Prudek <pru...@bvx.cz> wrote:
> I run "make install" of Python 2.4.4 and now I discovered that I do not like
> the default placement of my install. The Makefile does not support
> an "uninstall" option.
>
> Is there a way to uninstall Python compiled from sources?

If you're installing from sources "manually", you might want to
consider checkinstall to give you the option of an uninstall for those
software distributions which don't support "make uninstall":

http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

I seem to recall at some point doing a checkinstall on one or more
programs, installing the resulting packages, then uninstalling them in
order to remove installed files. That might be one approach you could
take, although it obviously won't restore any files overwritten when
you originally installed Python. That said, Python tends to install
into /usr/local by default and is fairly conservative about where it
puts its files, so it's unlikely that anything was overwritten.

Paul

Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On 2015-08-04, milos zorica <miloshzorica@gmail.com> wrote:

> you can't fully uninstall python from OSX, linux, BSD as there are many
> python dependent system tools

Well, technically you _can_ uninstall Python if you really want, but
all sorts of things will stop working. In some cases, it's very hard
to recover from that situation. Among the things that will stop
working on some flavors of Linux are the system utilities you normally
use to install things like Python.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
at No thanks!
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
that's my point
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:29:29 AM UTC-7, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2015-08-04, milos zorica <miloshzorica@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you can't fully uninstall python from OSX, linux, BSD as there are many
> > python dependent system tools
>
> Well, technically you _can_ uninstall Python if you really want, but
> all sorts of things will stop working. In some cases, it's very hard
> to recover from that situation. Among the things that will stop
> working on some flavors of Linux are the system utilities you normally
> use to install things like Python.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
> at No thanks!
> gmail.com

milos: "You can't uninstall Python because it will break things"
Grant: "Actually, you CAN uninstall Python, but it will break things"

milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally. I thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant "shouldn't".
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On 04/08/2015 19:31, sohcahtoa82@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:29:29 AM UTC-7, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2015-08-04, milos zorica <miloshzorica@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> you can't fully uninstall python from OSX, linux, BSD as there are many
>>> python dependent system tools
>>
>> Well, technically you _can_ uninstall Python if you really want, but
>> all sorts of things will stop working. In some cases, it's very hard
>> to recover from that situation. Among the things that will stop
>> working on some flavors of Linux are the system utilities you normally
>> use to install things like Python.
>>
>> --
>> Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
>> at No thanks!
>> gmail.com
>
> milos: "You can't uninstall Python because it will break things"
> Grant: "Actually, you CAN uninstall Python, but it will break things"

> milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally. I thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant "shouldn't".

The simple solution is not to subscribe.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 2:32:16 PM UTC-4, sohca...@gmail.com wrote:
> milos: "You can't uninstall Python because it will break things"
> Grant: "Actually, you CAN uninstall Python, but it will break things"
>
> I really fucking hate how pedantic some of the people on this mailing list are.
>
> milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally. I thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant "shouldn't".

While I am often dismayed at the pedantry on this list (and many others),
in this case, I think the clarification was warranted. When a beginner
is about to attempt something dangerous, it is prudent to be sure the
instructions are clear.

"You can't uninstall, because things won't work" sounds a bit like,
"you literally will not be able to uninstall things, because the operating
system will prevent you because it protects itself."

I wouldn't want the next message to be the original asker saying, "No,
look, I was able to uninstall just fine!" without realizing they were
damaging their system.

--Ned.
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 04/08/2015 19:31, sohcahtoa82@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:29:29 AM UTC-7, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> On 2015-08-04, milos zorica <miloshzorica@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> you can't fully uninstall python from OSX, linux, BSD as there are many
>>>>

>>> Well, technically you _can_ uninstall Python if you really want, but
>>> all sorts of things will stop working. In some cases, it's very hard
>>> to recover from that situation. Among the things that will stop
>>> working on some flavors of Linux are the system utilities you normally
>>> use to install things like Python.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! World War III?
>>> at No thanks!
>>> gmail.com
>>>

>> milos: "You can't uninstall Python because it will break things"
>> Grant: "Actually, you CAN uninstall Python, but it will break things"
>>
>> I really fucking hate how pedantic some of the people on this mailing
>> list are.
>>
>> milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally. I
>> thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant
>> "shouldn't".
>>

> The simple solution is not to subscribe.

Or even better, tell you to fuck off.
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 9:51:27 PM UTC-4, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Mark Lawrence <bream...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> The simple solution is not to subscribe.
>

> Or even better, tell you to fuck off.

Can we please try to stay civil?

--Ned.
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned@nedbatchelder.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 2:32:16 PM UTC-4, sohca...@gmail.com wrote:
> > milos: "You can't uninstall Python because it will break things"
> > Grant: "Actually, you CAN uninstall Python, but it will break things"
> >
> > I really fucking hate how pedantic some of the people on this mailing
list are.

> > milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally.
I thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant
"shouldn't".

> While I am often dismayed at the pedantry on this list (and many others),
> in this case, I think the clarification was warranted. When a beginner
> is about to attempt something dangerous, it is prudent to be sure the
> instructions are clear.
>
> "You can't uninstall, because things won't work" sounds a bit like,
> "you literally will not be able to uninstall things, because the operating
> system will prevent you because it protects itself."
>
> I wouldn't want the next message to be the original asker saying, "No,
> look, I was able to uninstall just fine!" without realizing they were
> damaging their system.

Pedantry sort of comes with the territory. It's in the job description, so
to speak. DJ Wiza should know that. There's that used joke of the
programmer's wife that asks him to bring 3 loaves of bread and if there are
any eggs to bring a dozen, and the programmer brings her wife a dozen
loaves of bread.

But being an asshole does not. That is something one chooses to become.
Your answer squarely puts you in the group of people that chose to be in
life to be a pain to others and actually gain the respect of even those
that don't even know them. Unlike some other people in here.

But Mark is right in a way... People like him is a reason I rarely frequent
this place anymore.
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Mario Figueiredo <marfig@gmail.com> wrote:

> But being an asshole does not. That is something one chooses to become.
Your answer squarely puts you in the group of people that chose to be in
life to be a pain to others [...]

An ugly mistyping there completely changed the meaning of what I intended
to say. For clarification, I mean to say: "Your answer squarely puts you in
the group of people that DIDN'T chose to be in life to be a pain to others"
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:49:10 AM UTC+5:30, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Mario Figueiredo <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But being an asshole does not. That is something one chooses to become. Your answer squarely puts you in the group of people that chose to be in life to be a pain to others [...]
>

> An ugly mistyping there completely changed the meaning of what I intended to say. For clarification, I mean to say: "Your answer squarely puts you in the group of people that DIDN'T chose to be in life to be a pain to others"

And nobody's yet asked whether the python on the mac the OP wants to uninstall
is the system python or something he added later
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
Right. Try
"which python" in the terminal and report back!

Cheers
Paul
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/2015 02:51, Mario Figueiredo wrote:

[chopped to pieces]

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
> On 04/08/2015 19:31, sohcahtoa82@gmail.com
> <mailto:sohcahtoa82@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:29:29 AM UTC-7, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2015-08-04, milos zorica <miloshzorica@gmail.com
>
> The simple solution is not to subscribe.
>
> Or even better, tell you to fuck off.

I trust that you also have a good day :)

Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 04/08/2015 19:31, sohcahtoa82@gmail.com wrote:
>> I really fucking hate how pedantic some of the people on this mailing
>> list are.
>>
>> milos wasn't wrong. You just chose to take his message too literally. I
>> thought it was pretty clear that when milos said "can't", he really meant
>> "shouldn't".
>
> The simple solution is not to subscribe.

Too late. The simple solution for them is to _unsubscribe_ now :)

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Re: Uninstall [ In reply to ]
On 8/4/2015 6:51 PM, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy@yahoo.co.uk>

<snip>

>> The simple solution is not to subscribe.

Yes -- it's about gotten to that point.

> Or even better, tell you to fuck off.

Now that's a first to my recollection. I must say I prefer the pedantry
to your civility.

But-neither-is-much-to-my-liking-ly y'rs,

Emile

Re: uninstall [ In reply to ]
So it seems counter intuitive but you might also have luck just
reinstalling Python3.8 back over top. If the uninstall was botch then that
should put everything back in place and then you can just run the uninstall
again and see if it clears out this time. Otherwise I agree with stack
overflow you can just go in and do it manually. If you have multiple Python
installs I would recommend make sure to use the py launcher instead of
adding any of the Pythons to the Windows path. I also don't like the new
default install location in the program folders for development machines
and find that it can sometimes cause conflicts so for those machines where
I need multiple versions I still install Python on the root of the the C
drive or and additional hard drive and name the folders PythonXX_32 or 64
depending on the type of install where XX is of course the major and minor
version 36, 37, 38 etc. Then I use py -3.6 and so on to execute the
different installs from the command line.