Mailing List Archive

Python 1.5.2 Build Caveat
Just got it built this morning.

If $PYTHONPATH (used to "augment" the Python run-time module search
path) is set when building Python v1.5.2, this "overrides" the default
search path and prevents Python from finding it's own modules unaided.

This wasn't intuitive behavior to me. $PYTHONPATH needs to be set to
add run-time search directories. If used by the build process at all, it
should be for adding default search directories, not overriding the
default.

Personally, I'd favor not even using $PYTHONPATH in the build process.
That's the function of configure --prefix.

Randall