Mailing List Archive

1.5.2c1 will not compile on Windows NT SP4 with VC++ 6.0 SP1
I extracted the 1.5.2c1 kit into P:\

python15 error
--------------------
VC++ 6.0 gives this error.

Fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\Modules\reopmodule.c': No such file or directory

The file reopmodule.c is not in the kit.

Having removed reopmodule.c from the project I get a link error

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ".\PC\python_nt.def"

This file is also missing.

Removing python_nt.def from the project reveals files that need to be added
to the project:

object\bufferobject.c
pc\initwinsound.c
modules\_localemodule.c

LINK needs winmm.lib added to it.

Now I get a python15 built.

pyhon error
----------------
The project cannot find python.c

fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\python\Modules\python.c': No such file or directory

There is a extra "python" directory that is not in the kits layout.
Fixed by replacing with 'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\Modules\python.c'

Same path problem with python15.lib.
Fixed by replacing with P:\Python-1.5.2c1\vc40\python15.lib

Now I get a python.exe

_tkinter
----------
The tk and tcl libs are named tk80.lib and tcl80.lib not tk80vc.lib and
tcl80vc.lib.

I used the Tcl/Tk that the 1.5.2c1 installation put on my system.

Now I have _tkinter.dll

How was the kit for Windows built given all the missing or misnamed files?
Or is this a side effect of using VC++ 6.0?

I also notice that the python.exe was built 8 apr 1999 but report sa dated
of 12 Mar 1999
on the interactive command line.

BArry
1.5.2c1 will not compile on Windows NT SP4 with VC++ 6.0 SP1 [ In reply to ]
> I extracted the 1.5.2c1 kit into P:\

Where did you get it?

> python15 error
> --------------------
> VC++ 6.0 gives this error.
>
> Fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
> 'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\Modules\reopmodule.c': No such file or directory
>
> The file reopmodule.c is not in the kit.

Hm... I just tried this with VC++ 6.0 (not sure which service pack)
and there's no mention of reopmodule.c -- indeed that module was
deleted ages ago.

Where exactly did you get the project file you used? Perhaps you had
an older project file (e.g. from an earlier alpha or beta release)
lying around?

> Having removed reopmodule.c from the project I get a link error
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ".\PC\python_nt.def"
>
> This file is also missing.

This file is no longer distributed. If you use the project files for
VC++ 5.0 that are distributed in the PCbuild directory (VC++ 6.0 will
convert them for you) you will note that it is no longer referenced.

> Removing python_nt.def from the project reveals files that need to be added
> to the project:
>
> object\bufferobject.c
> pc\initwinsound.c
> modules\_localemodule.c
>
> LINK needs winmm.lib added to it.

These things have all been corrected in the distributed project files.

> Now I get a python15 built.
>
> pyhon error
> ----------------
> The project cannot find python.c
>
> fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file:
> 'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\python\Modules\python.c': No such file or directory
>
> There is a extra "python" directory that is not in the kits layout.
> Fixed by replacing with 'P:\Python-1.5.2c1\Modules\python.c'
>
> Same path problem with python15.lib.
> Fixed by replacing with P:\Python-1.5.2c1\vc40\python15.lib
>
> Now I get a python.exe

Again, I wonder where you got the kit...

> _tkinter
> ----------
> The tk and tcl libs are named tk80.lib and tcl80.lib not tk80vc.lib and
> tcl80vc.lib.

Ditto -- your kit is not the set of workspace/project files I'm
distributing. (Unless I've accidentally distributed two sets. Which
set are you using?)

> I used the Tcl/Tk that the 1.5.2c1 installation put on my system.
>
> Now I have _tkinter.dll
>
> How was the kit for Windows built given all the missing or misnamed files?
> Or is this a side effect of using VC++ 6.0?
>
> I also notice that the python.exe was built 8 apr 1999 but report sa dated
> of 12 Mar 1999
> on the interactive command line.

Sounds like you have an old Python build lying around.

1.5.2c1 will not compile on Windows NT SP4 with VC++ 6.0 SP1 [ In reply to ]
[.Barry Scott, reports several weird problems trying to build 1.5.2c1 under
VC 6 on NT]

Barry, you didn't say how you *started* your build, but I suspect you
followed the instructions in PC\readme.txt without reading the first
paragraph:

(NOTE: the project files for MS VC++ 5.x are now in the PCbuild
directory. See the file readme.txt there for instructions.)

If so, throw out everything you did, and start over in the PCbuild
directory, where a full-blown .dsw file awaits your building pleasure.

Had no problems building either release or debug Pythons starting from
there, under Win95 using VC 5. I doubt VC 6 or NT have anything to do with
what you're seeing, since e.g. the reopmodule.c you report a complaint about
is mentioned only in the PC directory, not in the (correct) PCbuild
directory.

Note: I did not attempt to build _tkinter.

i-try-to-be-helpful-but-ain't-masochistic<wink>-ly y'rs - tim

PS to Guido: A fellow at work tripped over much the same thing when
building one of the 1.5.2bx releases. I figured the odds of somebody else
skipping over the first paragraph of the PC readme too were so slim that it
wasn't worth reporting. The problem may be that an experienced Windows-head
decides to start partying the instant they see the PC\vc40.mak file (which,
I believe, tries to do all the obsolete stuff Barry reported)!
1.5.2c1 will not compile on Windows NT SP4 with VC++ 6.0 SP1 [ In reply to ]
Yep I saw and mis understood that redirect to pcbuild.

I suggest in mail to Guido that vc40.mak is removed from the kit
and that the top level readme point windows builders to the
pcbuild dir.

BArry