http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP195.asp

Hmmmm.... is there a potential danger in installing oadist.exe?

Bernhard
pythonwin COM Update link out of date [ In reply to ]
Bernhard Reiter wrote in message ...
>http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin/pwindex.html#oadist
>
>Gives a bad link to the MS Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q164529.
>The link is bad and I cannot relocate the article with the search
>engine on that site and other methods... :(
>
>The closest I could get was:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q139/4/32.asp
>from
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP195.asp
>
>Hmmmm.... is there a potential danger in installing oadist.exe?

There _shouldnt_ be any danger!

These days it is getting quite unnecessary. If you have (I believe) IE4 or
Office 97, you are pretty up-to-date, and that includes many PCs these days.

You could try installing the Python stuff, and see if it works. Also, see
my other post this morning as to why the install may fail - try this out
first.

Mark.
pythonwin COM Update link out of date [ In reply to ]
Mark Hammond wrote:

> Bernhard Reiter wrote in message ...
> >http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin/pwindex.html#oadist
> >
> >Gives a bad link to the MS Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q164529.
> >The link is bad and I cannot relocate the article with the search
> >engine on that site and other methods... :(
> >
> >The closest I could get was:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q139/4/32.asp
> >from
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/downloads/LNP195.asp
> >
> >Hmmmm.... is there a potential danger in installing oadist.exe?
>
> There _shouldnt_ be any danger!
>
> These days it is getting quite unnecessary. If you have (I believe) IE4 or
> Office 97, you are pretty up-to-date, and that includes many PCs these days.
>
> You could try installing the Python stuff, and see if it works. Also, see
> my other post this morning as to why the install may fail - try this out
> first.
>
> Mark.

Another option is to download DCOM for Win95 - that'll get the user up to date
and then some!

-Chris
pythonwin COM Update link out of date [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:30:55 +1000, Mark Hammond <MHammond@skippinet.com.au> wrote:
>Bernhard Reiter wrote in message ...
>>http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin/pwindex.html#oadist
>Hmmmm.... is there a potential danger in installing oadist.exe?
>There _shouldnt_ be any danger!
Okay, I will try it, after I have mae a full backup in a few days.

>These days it is getting quite unnecessary. If you have (I believe) IE4 or
>Office 97, you are pretty up-to-date, and that includes many PCs these days.
Hmm Excel'97 is on this machine, but not IE4?

>You could try installing the Python stuff, and see if it works.
Most works, but the win32 stuff doesn't.

> Also, see
>my other post this morning as to why the install may fail - try this out
>first.

Both libraries are excactly the ones in the .zip archive.
Version 1.5.0.124

Bernhard
pythonwin COM Update link out of date [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:30:55 +1000, Mark Hammond <MHammond@skippinet.com.au> wrote:
>Bernhard Reiter wrote in message ...
>>Hmmmm.... is there a potential danger in installing oadist.exe?
>There _shouldnt_ be any danger!

I installed oadist.exe.
The problem still remains.

(I restarted and after that deinstalled and reinstalled the Pythonwin32)

Still the three registrations fail and
"import win32com.client" fails as described.

Any other suggestions? :-(

Bernhard