Mailing List Archive

How to use long names in python for windows
Bob Hays, Computer Geek wrote in message
<370e9080.37656309@news.interaccess.com>...
>I'm on Win95, I've downloaded python 1.5.1 and pythonwin (123 I
>think). I've been using pythonwin for development and that works
>great. Now, I want to create a set of batch files to run processes
>for me - I'm getting the following error from python:
>
>ValueError: Module name too long

This is very strange. Internally, Python will throw this error when it is
asked to import a module name over 255 characters long - certainly isnt an
"8.3" issue.

You could try adding to the start of your script:
import sys
for path in sys.path:
print path

When the script fails, see what the values are, and if there are any
insanely long paths that somehow got themselves in...

>Is there a problem with long file name support in python 1.5.1 on
>Windows95? Is there some startup script I need to execute first to

Nope - long file names (up to 255 characters) should work fine...

Mark.