Mailing List Archive

OpenSSL/X.509
Mordy Ovits wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
> > MAL> Note that I have a project running with the intention to wrap
> > MAL> OpenSSL in an OO manner called mxCrypto (see the link below).
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing it. When do you think you might have an
> > alpha release ready?
> >
> > Jeremy
>
> I have a fairly complete SWIGing of OpenSSL/SSleay working. I made it on
> company time, so I have to get company permission to release it. If there is
> real interest, I'll push for us to release it. It does all the X.509 stuff, is
> very OO, and builds on win32 and unices.
> Interested?

Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
why I started mxCrypto, BTW.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg Y2000: 268 days left
: Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/ :
OpenSSL/X.509 [ In reply to ]
M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
>you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
>why I started mxCrypto, BTW.

Note that Pat Knight has a UK-based project to SWIG SSLeay;
could you work using that as a base? http://www.ktgroup.co.uk/~pat/

--
A.M. Kuchling http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/
Autumn, to me the most congenial of seasons: the University, to me the most
OpenSSL/X.509 [ In reply to ]
Andrew M. Kuchling wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
> >Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
> >you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
> >why I started mxCrypto, BTW.
>
> Note that Pat Knight has a UK-based project to SWIG SSLeay;
> could you work using that as a base? http://www.ktgroup.co.uk/~pat/

I've looked at that code before I started off into mxCrypto. Pat's
approach uses pointers in the internal OpenSSL's data structure
as basis for doing the wrapping. Unfortunately, those pointers
seem to not work properly anymore in more recent versions of OpenSSL.

Also, he swigged the BIO and SSL parts in OpenSSL, mxCrypto takes
care of most of the crypto routines. X.509 and ASN.1 are not
handled in Pat's version.

Thanks for the tip anyway :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg Y2000: 267 days left
: Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/ :
OpenSSL/X.509 [ In reply to ]
Mordy Ovits wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> >>I have a fairly complete SWIGing of OpenSSL/SSleay working. I made it on
> >>company time, so I have to get company permission to release it. If there is
> >>real interest, I'll push for us to release it. It does all the X.509 stuff, is
> > > very OO, and builds on win32 and unices.
> > > Interested?
> >
> > Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
> > you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
> > why I started mxCrypto, BTW.\
>
> That's debatable. The SWIG bindings contain no crypto code in their own right.
> It is merely glue to crypto code. I wouldn't be able to release statically
> prebuilt libraries, but why would I want to anyway? Our lawyers keep waffling
> on this, which is why I haven't released it already. I'm really pleased with
> it, and would love give something back to the Python community. <SIGH> How
> long before we Americans are reduced to doing Crypto with a deck of cards? (See
> Bruce Schneier's Solitaire).

Well, the NCSA folks did something similar in their WWW server (they
included bindings to some crypto-lib for authentication) and
were called back by the NSA... but maybe the situation is different
now.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg Y2000: 266 days left
: Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/ :
OpenSSL/X.509 [ In reply to ]
M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Mordy Ovits wrote:

> > [SNIP]

> > > Looking forward to seeing it. When do you think you might have an
> > > alpha release ready?
> > >
> > > Jeremy
> >
>>I have a fairly complete SWIGing of OpenSSL/SSleay working. I made it on
>>company time, so I have to get company permission to release it. If there is
>>real interest, I'll push for us to release it. It does all the X.509 stuff, is
> > very OO, and builds on win32 and unices.
> > Interested?
>
> Sure, but if your company is US based, then chances are high
> you won't be able to share the code outside the US... that's
> why I started mxCrypto, BTW.\

That's debatable. The SWIG bindings contain no crypto code in their own right.
It is merely glue to crypto code. I wouldn't be able to release statically
prebuilt libraries, but why would I want to anyway? Our lawyers keep waffling
on this, which is why I haven't released it already. I'm really pleased with
it, and would love give something back to the Python community. <SIGH> How
long before we Americans are reduced to doing Crypto with a deck of cards? (See
Bruce Schneier's Solitaire).

Mordy
--
o Mordy Ovits