port to RNI. Besides taking a whole lot more code (you have to do the
whole silly "plugin" thing), Netscape was prone to crash at strange
times for unknown reasons.

There's even a difference between exiting from the file menu and
closing from the title bar.

When's the last time you closed a GUI from the file menu??

Sheesh.

- Gordon
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should [ In reply to ]
Gordon McMillan wrote:

> guppy wrote:
>
> > And another kick at Netscape:
> <Jamie Z quits, CSS support sucks>
>
> Having recently ported a sophisticated applet using JNI (Sun's new
> native interface) to JRI (older Netscape) and RNI (older IE), I too
> can kick and scream.

Same here. In my recent plugin project, I had to support
both Netscape and MSIE. The hard thing was supposed to
be MSIE, Netscape was done last year already.

But, instead, MSIE had its problems, but porting
the plugin from NS4.0 to NS4.5 took me full 10 days
and nights! They messed such a lot of things up.
Now I can sing a lot of Netscape dll entry points
which I became very accustomed to from my debug sessions!
Code which needed to sens a JavaScript URL to one frame
window caused crashes at random time, and I had to
completely circumvent this. They're going nuts.

They should rewrite the whole crap, presumably
build it from the bones of Grail :-))

> Sheesh.

Gosh - chris

--
Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Applied Biometrics GmbH : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should [ In reply to ]
Christian Tismer wrote:

[netscape plugin maddness]
> They should rewrite the whole crap, presumably
> build it from the bones of Grail :-))

It is my understanding that they *are* rewriting the whole crap. The new
crap looks pretty nice, at least the layout pre-alphas I tried grokked
CSS 1 pretty well (though there were some bugs left in stress tests at
the time I tried those some months ago). I don't know about the plugin
architecture, but I think they're rewriting everything. It being open
source would help as well with debugging, and if you don't like their
plugin architecture you can try to introduce your own (yeah, that was
easily said and not easily done, I know, I know :)

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the hellish pains you underwent! Perhaps
you can give some input to the Mozilla people working on this, though.

Regards,

Martijn
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should [ In reply to ]
[Gordon McMillan, among others with Netscape vs IE experience]
> Having recently ported a sophisticated applet using JNI (Sun's new
> native interface) to JRI (older Netscape) and RNI (older IE), I too
> can kick and scream.
> [guess the outcome <wink>]

I'm no browser wizard -- just took a few stabs over the past year & a half
at writing some relatively simple Java applets, JavaScript and HTML for the
amusement of my family. No CSS, no frames, nothing at all even remotely
cutting-edge. One Netscape-using sister had dozens of problems with *all*
of these, most eventually determined to be cases of NS not meeting the
appropriate std, and-- far too often --crashing her machine.

Fact is NS dropped the browser ball a couple years ago, then poked holes in
it, then attached industrial-strength vacuum cleaners on the off chance any
air remained.

> When's the last time you closed a GUI from the file menu??

Hey, I'll close a stinking GUI any way I can <wink>.

right-next-to-my-reboot-foot-pedal-ly y'rs - tim
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should [ In reply to ]
Gordon McMillan <gmcm@hypernet.com> wrote:
:
: There's even a difference between exiting from the file menu and
: closing from the title bar.
:
: When's the last time you closed a GUI from the file menu??
:
: Sheesh.
:

That rings a bell - it also occurred in the last version of Oracle
Forms 4.5 I had the misfortune to work with. Worse, closing the app
with alt-spacebar (for the system menu) would hang the whole of
Windows.
--

Boudewijn Rempt | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt
Crappy Software was Re: [OffTopic: Netscape] Re: How should [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 06:39:21 GMT, boud@rempt.xs4all.nl wrote:

>Gordon McMillan <gmcm@hypernet.com> wrote:
>:
>: There's even a difference between exiting from the file menu and
>: closing from the title bar.
>:
>: When's the last time you closed a GUI from the file menu??
>:
>: Sheesh.
>:
>
>That rings a bell - it also occurred in the last version of Oracle
>Forms 4.5 I had the misfortune to work with. Worse, closing the app
>with alt-spacebar (for the system menu) would hang the whole of
>Windows.

Gahd. Yet another way to do it. The guy at Mackido (dunno the URL
offhand) documents twenty-odd other ways to close an app.

Macintosh has three or four.

One can develop quite a significant despisal of Windows when one starts
realizing just how lousy an interface it has...

--
MSpeak: in-no-va-tion, n. 1. extending or modifying
existing standards in undocumented ways. 2. creating