Mailing List Archive

Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament...
Oh, man, it has been a while. The last one I remember is PEP 404 (if you
can find it :) ), dated 2011 and it wasn't an April Fool's...

Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
On 4/1/23, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to throw this out there... I lament the loss of waking up on
> April 1st to see a creative April Fool's Day joke on one or both of these
> lists, often from our FLUFL... Maybe such frivolity still happens, just not
> in the Python ecosystem?

I thought this one was funny:

https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/103172
RE: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
Yea, it is funny. I commented on it.

Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
A bit late, this reached my inbox:
https://peternorvig.medium.com/new-python-operators-9f31b56ddcc7

wrote:

> Just wanted to throw this out there... I lament the loss of waking up on
> April 1st to see a creative April Fool's Day joke on one or both of these
> lists, often from our FLUFL... Maybe such frivolity still happens, just not in
> the Python ecosystem? I know you can still import "this" or
> "antigravity", but those are now old (both introduced before 2010). When
> was the last time a clever easter egg was introduced or an April Fool's Day
> joke played?
>
> ¯\_(?)_/¯
>
> Skip

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/Q62W2Q6R6XMX57WK2CUGEENHMT3C3REF/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>
Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
I heard it on reasonably believable authority that the FLUFL took the year off. Lamentable.

-Barry

RE: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
Sadly, between Daylight Savings time and a newer irrational PI ? Day, I am afraid some April Foolers got thrown off albeit some may shower us with nonsense in May I.

Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
On 04/04/2023 12.14, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> A bit late, this reached my inbox:
> https://peternorvig.medium.com/new-python-operators-9f31b56ddcc7

Did you notice that Peter Norvig's factorial-operator attempts to
replace one of the very first diamond-grade provisions of [the] FLUFL?

Disgraceful behavior! So disrespectful!

Send him to the Spanish Inquisition...

Saying that, he (Peter) lost the opportunity to promote our new
dev.movement. As he pointed-out, tests are likely to give one a false
sense of security with regard to the correctness of code.

Accordingly, join us in the noTDD philosophy. Like NoSQL is schema-less,
noTDD is scheme-less (we have NO idea what we're doing).

Don't be led-astray by tests. We're all [adult-]optimists here...

> On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 11:23?AM Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to throw this out there... I lament the loss of waking up on
>> April 1st to see a creative April Fool's Day joke on one or both of these
>> lists, often from our FLUFL... Maybe such frivolity still happens, just not in
>> the Python ecosystem? I know you can still import "this" or
>> "antigravity", but those are now old (both introduced before 2010). When
>> was the last time a clever easter egg was introduced or an April Fool's Day
>> joke played?
>>
>> ¯\_(?)_/¯
>>
>> Skip

>> Message archived at
>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/Q62W2Q6R6XMX57WK2CUGEENHMT3C3REF/

=dn
Re: [Python-Dev] Small lament... [ In reply to ]
On 4/04/23 2:09 pm, avi.e.gross@gmail.com wrote:
> Sadly, between Daylight Savings time and a newer irrational PI ? Day, I am afraid some April Foolers got thrown off albeit some may shower us with nonsense in May I.

Pi day isn't responsible, but it is because of changes to daylight
saving. The International Bureau of Weights and Measures announced
that, in order to gain a few more days of summer weather, all clocks
would be put back by 96 hours at midnight on 31 March 2023. So April 1
is now occurring on what would have been April 4. Expect the usual
torrent of silliness to arrive shortly.

--
Greg