Mailing List Archive

Can you process seismographic signals in Python or should I switch to Matlab ?
RE: Can you process seismographic signals in Python or should I switch to Matlab ? [ In reply to ]
A a,

Consider asking a more specific question. Many things can be done in many
different programming languages.

Are you asking if there are helpers you can use such as modules that
implement parts of the algorithms you need? Are you asking about speed or
efficiency?

Have you considered how few people here are likely to know much about a
specialized field and perhaps a search using a search engine might get you
something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=python+process+seimographic+signals&oq=pytho
n+process+seimographic+signals&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546l5.16718j0j7&sourceid=
chrome&ie=UTF-8

For example:

https://www.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/~megies/www_obsrise/

You can of course search for say signal processing or whatever makes sense
to you.

My answer, if not clear, is that your question may not be primarily about
Python and about finding whatever environment gives you both access to
software that helps you as well as a language that lets you wrap lots of it
together, make reports and so on. Python is likely a decent choice but
perhaps others are better for your own situation, such as having others
nearby you can learn from.

Good luck.